Dec 26, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
The upcoming Winter Classic (Jan. 2 on NBC!) won’t be Ilya Bryzgalov’s first outdoor hockey game. As reported by CSNPhilly.com, the Flyers’ goalie also played one in Russia during the mid-90s. And by the sounds of it, the fans at Citizens Bank Park will have their work cut out to match the…atmosphere.
“It was really cold,” recalls Bryzgalov. “A big, drunk crowd. Fights. Very entertaining because the fans were right behind the boards.
“Some of the guys, you dig the puck in the corner, and fans yelling and grabbing and they start to fight and punching each other and yelling at the players. That was very entertaining.”
Now, this is normally the part where a blogger includes a lazy shot at Philly sports fans. Something like, “Hey, if any group can punch each other like a bunch of drunk Russians, it’s Philly sports fans.”
Instead, here’s a classic Yakov Smirnoff commercial.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)