Dec 26, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
The upcoming Winter Classic (Jan. 2 on NBC!) won’t be Ilya Bryzgalov’s first outdoor hockey game. As reported by CSNPhilly.com, the Flyers’ goalie also played one in Russia during the mid-90s. And by the sounds of it, the fans at Citizens Bank Park will have their work cut out to match the…atmosphere.
“It was really cold,” recalls Bryzgalov. “A big, drunk crowd. Fights. Very entertaining because the fans were right behind the boards.
“Some of the guys, you dig the puck in the corner, and fans yelling and grabbing and they start to fight and punching each other and yelling at the players. That was very entertaining.”
Now, this is normally the part where a blogger includes a lazy shot at Philly sports fans. Something like, “Hey, if any group can punch each other like a bunch of drunk Russians, it’s Philly sports fans.”
Instead, here’s a classic Yakov Smirnoff commercial.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17