Dec 26, 2011, 11:37 AM EST
After scoring two game-winning goals and notching his first career hat trick, Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand — aka Nose Face, aka Marshmont, aka Honey Badger — was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
The highlight of Marchand’s week was a five-point outing in an 8-0 romp over Florida. In addition to his hat trick, the third-year Bruins forward also chipped in two assists and scored his first shorthanded goal of the year. Marchand now leads the Bs in goalscoring (with 15) and is second on the team in points.
Second star went to New York Rangers RW Marian Gaborik, who scored in all three games last week to move atop the NHL leaderboard with 21 goals. Two of those tallies — against the Devils and Flyers — were of the game-winning variety. As such, Gaborik now sits tied for third in GWG (four). He also eclipsed the 600-point plateau last week.
Third star went to Colorado goalie JS Giguere. He’s currently in the midst of a four-game winning streak — including three wins last week — and moved into the top five in two key statistical categories: GAA (1.79, third in the NHL) and save percentage (.934, fourth). Not bad production from the 40th-lowest cap hit ($1.25 million) amongst all goalies this season, eh?
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)