Dec 26, 2011, 11:37 AM EST
After scoring two game-winning goals and notching his first career hat trick, Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand — aka Nose Face, aka Marshmont, aka Honey Badger — was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
The highlight of Marchand’s week was a five-point outing in an 8-0 romp over Florida. In addition to his hat trick, the third-year Bruins forward also chipped in two assists and scored his first shorthanded goal of the year. Marchand now leads the Bs in goalscoring (with 15) and is second on the team in points.
Second star went to New York Rangers RW Marian Gaborik, who scored in all three games last week to move atop the NHL leaderboard with 21 goals. Two of those tallies — against the Devils and Flyers — were of the game-winning variety. As such, Gaborik now sits tied for third in GWG (four). He also eclipsed the 600-point plateau last week.
Third star went to Colorado goalie JS Giguere. He’s currently in the midst of a four-game winning streak — including three wins last week — and moved into the top five in two key statistical categories: GAA (1.79, third in the NHL) and save percentage (.934, fourth). Not bad production from the 40th-lowest cap hit ($1.25 million) amongst all goalies this season, eh?
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 7
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)