Dec 26, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
After scoring two game-winning goals and notching his first career hat trick, Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand — aka Nose Face, aka Marshmont, aka Honey Badger — was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
The highlight of Marchand’s week was a five-point outing in an 8-0 romp over Florida. In addition to his hat trick, the third-year Bruins forward also chipped in two assists and scored his first shorthanded goal of the year. Marchand now leads the Bs in goalscoring (with 15) and is second on the team in points.
Second star went to New York Rangers RW Marian Gaborik, who scored in all three games last week to move atop the NHL leaderboard with 21 goals. Two of those tallies — against the Devils and Flyers — were of the game-winning variety. As such, Gaborik now sits tied for third in GWG (four). He also eclipsed the 600-point plateau last week.
Third star went to Colorado goalie JS Giguere. He’s currently in the midst of a four-game winning streak — including three wins last week — and moved into the top five in two key statistical categories: GAA (1.79, third in the NHL) and save percentage (.934, fourth). Not bad production from the 40th-lowest cap hit ($1.25 million) amongst all goalies this season, eh?
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47