Dec 26, 2011, 11:37 AM EST
After scoring two game-winning goals and notching his first career hat trick, Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand — aka Nose Face, aka Marshmont, aka Honey Badger — was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
The highlight of Marchand’s week was a five-point outing in an 8-0 romp over Florida. In addition to his hat trick, the third-year Bruins forward also chipped in two assists and scored his first shorthanded goal of the year. Marchand now leads the Bs in goalscoring (with 15) and is second on the team in points.
Second star went to New York Rangers RW Marian Gaborik, who scored in all three games last week to move atop the NHL leaderboard with 21 goals. Two of those tallies — against the Devils and Flyers — were of the game-winning variety. As such, Gaborik now sits tied for third in GWG (four). He also eclipsed the 600-point plateau last week.
Third star went to Colorado goalie JS Giguere. He’s currently in the midst of a four-game winning streak — including three wins last week — and moved into the top five in two key statistical categories: GAA (1.79, third in the NHL) and save percentage (.934, fourth). Not bad production from the 40th-lowest cap hit ($1.25 million) amongst all goalies this season, eh?
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)