Dec 26, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
The Montreal Gazette’s plucky columnist, Jack Todd, wrote another doozy today. In an open letter to Canadiens president Geoff Molson, Todd candidly called for the firing of the team’s general manager, Pierre Gauthier.
Todd’s reasoning had little to do with the Habs’ win-loss record; it was chiefly related to Gauthier’s handling of the coaching change that saw unilingual Randy Cunneyworth replace bilingual Jacques Martin on an interim basis.
Let’s get the most obvious part of this out of the way now: the head coach of the Montreal Canadiens has to speak French. There simply is no other way. Imagine the Toronto Maple Leafs with a unilingual francophone behind the bench: it would never happen.
True, the Canadiens had unilingual anglo coaches in the past, but that was the past – before the 24-hour news cycle, before live video streaming of the coach’s press conference, before every word was parsed in the Twitterverse almost before they could be uttered.
Pierre Gauthier should have known this. He’s a francophone and a Montrealer. Understanding this market should be atop his list of job qualifications: That he plainly does not understand this market is one more indication, if any were needed, that he is simply not up to the job.
Todd goes on to suggest the new coach should be former coach Guy Carbonneau, who Todd suggests was “unjustly fired” in 2009 by former general manager Bob Gainey.
Agree or disagree, it’s a strong opinion that’s sure to sway some Habs fans. And he didn’t even have to mention the Tomas Kaberle trade.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)