Dec 26, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
Who knew that losing a team captain would be so destructive?
Wild coach Mike Yeo says he expects Mikko Koivu will play tonight after missing four games as the Wild take on the Avalanche. At the very least the team’s leading point scorer should help them out in one-goal games. During the Wild’s current six game losing streak, they’ve had three 2-1 losses, one courtesy of the shootout. They’ve also had four games where they scored just one goal.
After winning seven in a row and streaking out to be the NHL’s top team for a spell, the Wild have come back to earth and are now just one point ahead of red hot Vancouver for first in the Northwest Division. That’s a startling fall from grace and one that should have the Wild worried.
Koivu’s presence on the ice is needed to get the team out of its tailspin and to try and prove to many that it’s worthy of the praise it’s gotten this season. If Koivu can’t help them at least generate another goal or two, the Wild could wind up joining last season’s Stars, Thrashers, and Avalanche as teams that started out on fire only to crash and burn miserably out of the playoffs.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 31
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)