Dec 26, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
Statheads will likely call the Minnesota Wild’s seven-game losing streak “The Revenge of the Law of Averages.” Wild fans might counter that the team’s many injuries are taking a serious toll.
Either way, the Wild continue their downward spiral, as the Colorado Avalanche topped them 4-2 tonight. Mikko Koivu made his return, but obviously it wasn’t triumphant since his team still suffered a defeat. (Koivu did register an assist, for what it’s worth.)
Offense is the most obvious issue in Minny. They’ve been outscored 24-9 during that 0-5-2 streak as they’re allowing far more shots than they are taking. They didn’t manage a single period with double digit shots on Monday; Colorado had a 32-22 shot advantage overall.
On paper, the Wild’s defense didn’t look too great coming into the 2011-12 season. The combination of Mike Yeo’s system and fantastic goaltending from Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding helped the team overcome its weaknesses, but that low margin of error style obviously has its disadvantages when the bounces start going the other way.
All of that negativity aside, Minnesota is still on top of the Northwest Division with 46 points, although the Vancouver Canucks can claim that spot with a charity point or win tonight. Even if they lose that division lead, the Wild will remain somewhere in the West’s top eight, which shows that it isn’t time to panic – even if it might be time to worry.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)