Dec 26, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
Statheads will likely call the Minnesota Wild’s seven-game losing streak “The Revenge of the Law of Averages.” Wild fans might counter that the team’s many injuries are taking a serious toll.
Either way, the Wild continue their downward spiral, as the Colorado Avalanche topped them 4-2 tonight. Mikko Koivu made his return, but obviously it wasn’t triumphant since his team still suffered a defeat. (Koivu did register an assist, for what it’s worth.)
Offense is the most obvious issue in Minny. They’ve been outscored 24-9 during that 0-5-2 streak as they’re allowing far more shots than they are taking. They didn’t manage a single period with double digit shots on Monday; Colorado had a 32-22 shot advantage overall.
On paper, the Wild’s defense didn’t look too great coming into the 2011-12 season. The combination of Mike Yeo’s system and fantastic goaltending from Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding helped the team overcome its weaknesses, but that low margin of error style obviously has its disadvantages when the bounces start going the other way.
All of that negativity aside, Minnesota is still on top of the Northwest Division with 46 points, although the Vancouver Canucks can claim that spot with a charity point or win tonight. Even if they lose that division lead, the Wild will remain somewhere in the West’s top eight, which shows that it isn’t time to panic – even if it might be time to worry.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)