Dec 26, 2011, 9:02 PM EST
Statheads will likely call the Minnesota Wild’s seven-game losing streak “The Revenge of the Law of Averages.” Wild fans might counter that the team’s many injuries are taking a serious toll.
Either way, the Wild continue their downward spiral, as the Colorado Avalanche topped them 4-2 tonight. Mikko Koivu made his return, but obviously it wasn’t triumphant since his team still suffered a defeat. (Koivu did register an assist, for what it’s worth.)
Offense is the most obvious issue in Minny. They’ve been outscored 24-9 during that 0-5-2 streak as they’re allowing far more shots than they are taking. They didn’t manage a single period with double digit shots on Monday; Colorado had a 32-22 shot advantage overall.
On paper, the Wild’s defense didn’t look too great coming into the 2011-12 season. The combination of Mike Yeo’s system and fantastic goaltending from Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding helped the team overcome its weaknesses, but that low margin of error style obviously has its disadvantages when the bounces start going the other way.
All of that negativity aside, Minnesota is still on top of the Northwest Division with 46 points, although the Vancouver Canucks can claim that spot with a charity point or win tonight. Even if they lose that division lead, the Wild will remain somewhere in the West’s top eight, which shows that it isn’t time to panic – even if it might be time to worry.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)