Dec 26, 2011, 9:02 PM EDT
Statheads will likely call the Minnesota Wild’s seven-game losing streak “The Revenge of the Law of Averages.” Wild fans might counter that the team’s many injuries are taking a serious toll.
Either way, the Wild continue their downward spiral, as the Colorado Avalanche topped them 4-2 tonight. Mikko Koivu made his return, but obviously it wasn’t triumphant since his team still suffered a defeat. (Koivu did register an assist, for what it’s worth.)
Offense is the most obvious issue in Minny. They’ve been outscored 24-9 during that 0-5-2 streak as they’re allowing far more shots than they are taking. They didn’t manage a single period with double digit shots on Monday; Colorado had a 32-22 shot advantage overall.
On paper, the Wild’s defense didn’t look too great coming into the 2011-12 season. The combination of Mike Yeo’s system and fantastic goaltending from Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding helped the team overcome its weaknesses, but that low margin of error style obviously has its disadvantages when the bounces start going the other way.
All of that negativity aside, Minnesota is still on top of the Northwest Division with 46 points, although the Vancouver Canucks can claim that spot with a charity point or win tonight. Even if they lose that division lead, the Wild will remain somewhere in the West’s top eight, which shows that it isn’t time to panic – even if it might be time to worry.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 38
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 15
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3