Dec 26, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
If things played out in real life they way they did on paper, tonight’s Caps-Sabres game in Buffalo would be the post-Christmas treat. Like Ralphie ultimately getting his Red Ryder BB gun in “A Christmas Story,” we’d be watching Alex Ovechkin and the soaring Caps battle Ryan Miller and the reborn Sabres.
Instead, we’re treated to a pair of teams failing to live up to expectations and disappointing everyone in their hometowns.
The only questions hinging on tonight’s game, instead, are who are the most disappointing players on the ice? The easy candidates are quick to be found. For Washington, you can take your pick amongst Tomas Vokoun, Alexander Semin, or even Ovechkin himself.
Vokoun was thought to be the top guy in net but he’s been miserable. Making those matters worse is that Michal Neuvirth hasn’t been able to seize the spotlight making the Caps goaltending a serious sore spot. Semin’s struggles are all too well known while Ovechkin is trying to get his game figured out under Dale Hunter. When things are going badly, everything looks ugly.
Buffalo’s hit list is immense. Ville Leino and Ryan Miller are equally goat-like with Christian Ehrhoff continuing to make people wonder why Sabres GM Darcy Regier gave him a ten-year contract. Thomas Vanek has been a source of inspiration for the Sabres, but now he’s banged up. If Miller were living up to expectations and not busy complaining all the time, maybe the Sabres wouldn’t have such worries.
Instead, times are tough in Buffalo yet again and Lindy Ruff too is busy voicing his displeasure about things other than his team’s play. If tonight’s game set up the right way, both teams would beat each other’s faces in to get a win and start turning things around. Don’t consider our hopes up too high though, we’ve been burned doing that already with these two.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)