Dec 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
This season has been downright terrible for Carolina Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward. After only getting two wins from Nov. 23-Dec. 21, the Canes are now on a two-game winning streak thanks to a 4-2 victory against the New Jersey Devils, which marks just their third run of consecutive wins this season.*
Ward grew up idolizing Martin Brodeur, so he’s probably delighted to get a goal to his credit, although it wasn’t Ward who sent the puck all the way down the ice.
Instead it was Brodeur’s own teammate Ilya Kovalchuk, who tried to send the puck to the point but instead fired it into his own net. Darker minds might find that to be a symbolic moment, but either way, Ward received his first career NHL goal and the first in Hurricanes history.
* – The Canes won three straight games from Oct. 12-18 and collected two victories during a back-to-back set on Nov. 20-21.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)