Dec 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
This season has been downright terrible for Carolina Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward. After only getting two wins from Nov. 23-Dec. 21, the Canes are now on a two-game winning streak thanks to a 4-2 victory against the New Jersey Devils, which marks just their third run of consecutive wins this season.*
Ward grew up idolizing Martin Brodeur, so he’s probably delighted to get a goal to his credit, although it wasn’t Ward who sent the puck all the way down the ice.
Instead it was Brodeur’s own teammate Ilya Kovalchuk, who tried to send the puck to the point but instead fired it into his own net. Darker minds might find that to be a symbolic moment, but either way, Ward received his first career NHL goal and the first in Hurricanes history.
* – The Canes won three straight games from Oct. 12-18 and collected two victories during a back-to-back set on Nov. 20-21.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)