Dec 26, 2011, 1:21 PM EST
You have to give it up to the Maple Leafs — their ability to work the local media into a lather is genius.
Yesterday, both Leafs GM Brian Burke and coach Ron Wilson hit Twitter to announce that Wilson was given a contract extension to stay bench boss of the Leafs. This came just a day after they went back and forth chattering about how Wilson was asking Santa Claus for an extension to stay in Toronto.
Sick burn, boys.
In life, some people are the puppeteers while others are the puppets and Burke and Wilson are pulling the strings on the antagonistic beat writers while they can. If things don’t work out and the Leafs crash and burn out of playoff contention both guys could be on their way out of town.
Reading the smug columns to follow such a move would make Toronto the most annoying place in North America for weeks to come, so let’s all hope that Wilson and Burke can get the Leafs to the playoffs to prevent that from happening.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)