Dec 26, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
You have to give it up to the Maple Leafs — their ability to work the local media into a lather is genius.
Yesterday, both Leafs GM Brian Burke and coach Ron Wilson hit Twitter to announce that Wilson was given a contract extension to stay bench boss of the Leafs. This came just a day after they went back and forth chattering about how Wilson was asking Santa Claus for an extension to stay in Toronto.
Sick burn, boys.
In life, some people are the puppeteers while others are the puppets and Burke and Wilson are pulling the strings on the antagonistic beat writers while they can. If things don’t work out and the Leafs crash and burn out of playoff contention both guys could be on their way out of town.
Reading the smug columns to follow such a move would make Toronto the most annoying place in North America for weeks to come, so let’s all hope that Wilson and Burke can get the Leafs to the playoffs to prevent that from happening.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)