Dec 26, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
You have to give it up to the Maple Leafs — their ability to work the local media into a lather is genius.
Yesterday, both Leafs GM Brian Burke and coach Ron Wilson hit Twitter to announce that Wilson was given a contract extension to stay bench boss of the Leafs. This came just a day after they went back and forth chattering about how Wilson was asking Santa Claus for an extension to stay in Toronto.
Sick burn, boys.
In life, some people are the puppeteers while others are the puppets and Burke and Wilson are pulling the strings on the antagonistic beat writers while they can. If things don’t work out and the Leafs crash and burn out of playoff contention both guys could be on their way out of town.
Reading the smug columns to follow such a move would make Toronto the most annoying place in North America for weeks to come, so let’s all hope that Wilson and Burke can get the Leafs to the playoffs to prevent that from happening.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)