Dec 26, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
You have to give it up to the Maple Leafs — their ability to work the local media into a lather is genius.
Yesterday, both Leafs GM Brian Burke and coach Ron Wilson hit Twitter to announce that Wilson was given a contract extension to stay bench boss of the Leafs. This came just a day after they went back and forth chattering about how Wilson was asking Santa Claus for an extension to stay in Toronto.
Sick burn, boys.
In life, some people are the puppeteers while others are the puppets and Burke and Wilson are pulling the strings on the antagonistic beat writers while they can. If things don’t work out and the Leafs crash and burn out of playoff contention both guys could be on their way out of town.
Reading the smug columns to follow such a move would make Toronto the most annoying place in North America for weeks to come, so let’s all hope that Wilson and Burke can get the Leafs to the playoffs to prevent that from happening.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)