Dec 26, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
Say this about Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Scott Arniel — he’s really good at keeping positive. Scary good, even.
The BJs entered the Christmas break on arguably the worst note imaginable (which is saying something, given their entire season has been a collective sour note.) They blew leads of 4-1 and 5-2 to Nashville, surrendering the winning goal with 8.4 seconds left. That was Columbus’ fourth loss in a row and fifth in its last six.
Yet Arniel managed to find the silver lining of going into the break on such a downer.
“It was a chance to get away and clear our brains a little bit,” he told NHL.com. “We can’t dwell on what’s happened and we’ve got to move forward. We’ve seen some of those ugly games happen, but we have to take responsibility for it and we have to find a way the next time we’re in that position to get a better result.”
Regardless of what happens to Arniel this season — and hey, he outlasted five other coaches this season, so he’ll always have that! — he should be applauded for how he’s handled adversity. Arniel’s managed to take the high road on a number of incidents: He’s rarely ripped his team or players publicly, didn’t address rumors that he was going to be replaced by Ken Hitchcock and refrained from firing back at player agent Alan Walsh after Walsh tweeted “this coach has a history of burying players and using them as scapegoats to mask his own lack of success on the ice.”
In a related story, Arniel will go back to Steve Mason in goal tonight against the Blackhawks. Backup Curtis Sanford has predictably returned to earth (he was on the hook for all six goals against Nashville) and is dealing with back spasms, forcing Mason into duty.
The last time he played, Mason allowed five goals on 33 shots in a loss to St. Louis.
Deep breaths, coach. Deep breaths…
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)