Dec 26, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
Say this about Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Scott Arniel — he’s really good at keeping positive. Scary good, even.
The BJs entered the Christmas break on arguably the worst note imaginable (which is saying something, given their entire season has been a collective sour note.) They blew leads of 4-1 and 5-2 to Nashville, surrendering the winning goal with 8.4 seconds left. That was Columbus’ fourth loss in a row and fifth in its last six.
Yet Arniel managed to find the silver lining of going into the break on such a downer.
“It was a chance to get away and clear our brains a little bit,” he told NHL.com. “We can’t dwell on what’s happened and we’ve got to move forward. We’ve seen some of those ugly games happen, but we have to take responsibility for it and we have to find a way the next time we’re in that position to get a better result.”
Regardless of what happens to Arniel this season — and hey, he outlasted five other coaches this season, so he’ll always have that! — he should be applauded for how he’s handled adversity. Arniel’s managed to take the high road on a number of incidents: He’s rarely ripped his team or players publicly, didn’t address rumors that he was going to be replaced by Ken Hitchcock and refrained from firing back at player agent Alan Walsh after Walsh tweeted “this coach has a history of burying players and using them as scapegoats to mask his own lack of success on the ice.”
In a related story, Arniel will go back to Steve Mason in goal tonight against the Blackhawks. Backup Curtis Sanford has predictably returned to earth (he was on the hook for all six goals against Nashville) and is dealing with back spasms, forcing Mason into duty.
The last time he played, Mason allowed five goals on 33 shots in a loss to St. Louis.
Deep breaths, coach. Deep breaths…
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 1
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)