Dec 25, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
It’s a very happy holiday for Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson.
Just two days after hinting on Twitter that all he wanted for Christmas was a new contract, Wilson informed everyone he got exactly that.
“He came! He came!” Remember saying that as a little kid? Well he did: I got a new Red Ryder BB gun and a contract extension!,” Wilson tweeted early Christmas morning.
The Leafs have yet to comment on the extension, but most expect to something by tomorrow. Recent speculation suggested Toronto GM Brian Burke was simply waiting for “the right moment” to make the offer.
Wilson is in the final season of a four-year contract and currently has the Leafs sixth in the Eastern Conference with 40 points. Toronto has not made the playoffs in three prior seasons with him behind the bench.
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 2
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 15
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 62
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)