Dec 25, 2011, 6:00 AM EDT
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Teemu Selanne’s Winnipeg ovation
The Finnish Flash only spent four seasons in Winnipeg, but it was clear on Dec. 17 at the MTS Centre that he left an indelible mark on the city. Such a moment seemed unthinkable when the Jets left for Phoenix in 1996. The return of the NHL to Winnipeg has been a much-needed feel-good story during a year in hockey that’s seen its share of tragedies.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63