Dec 25, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Sidney Crosby‘s big night
The most bittersweet moment on the list, hands down.
If you can, put aside the aftermath for a moment. Forget the uncertainty, the headaches, the renewed worry and concern about No. 87’s future…and take a moment to remember that for one night, hockey fans witnessed something special. In a 5-0 wipeout of the Islanders, Crosby scored the first goal, assisted on the second, assisted on the third and scored the fifth. A dazzling performance, eerily similar to when Pens legend Mario Lemieux returned from Hodgkin’s disease in 2000.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6