Dec 25, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Sidney Crosby‘s big night
The most bittersweet moment on the list, hands down.
If you can, put aside the aftermath for a moment. Forget the uncertainty, the headaches, the renewed worry and concern about No. 87′s future…and take a moment to remember that for one night, hockey fans witnessed something special. In a 5-0 wipeout of the Islanders, Crosby scored the first goal, assisted on the second, assisted on the third and scored the fifth. A dazzling performance, eerily similar to when Pens legend Mario Lemieux returned from Hodgkin’s disease in 2000.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)