Dec 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Boston wins the Stanley Cup
In 2010, the Bruins squandered a 3-0 series lead over Philadelphia and were eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating fashion. In 2011, they twice fought back from 2-0 series deficits, won three Game 7’s and hoisted the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1972. Tim Thomas was brilliant in goal. Zdeno Chara was a force on defense. David Krejci led all playoff scorers. However, it wasn’t individual performances the B’s will be remembered for. It was their willingness to stick up for each other and to overcome adversity together as a team. For Boston sports fans, the Cup victory also capped off an amazing run that started in 2001 and has seen the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots capture at least one championship each.
There you have it, folks — the best 10 NHL moments of the year. Take it away, The Standells…
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54