Dec 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Boston wins the Stanley Cup
In 2010, the Bruins squandered a 3-0 series lead over Philadelphia and were eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating fashion. In 2011, they twice fought back from 2-0 series deficits, won three Game 7’s and hoisted the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1972. Tim Thomas was brilliant in goal. Zdeno Chara was a force on defense. David Krejci led all playoff scorers. However, it wasn’t individual performances the B’s will be remembered for. It was their willingness to stick up for each other and to overcome adversity together as a team. For Boston sports fans, the Cup victory also capped off an amazing run that started in 2001 and has seen the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots capture at least one championship each.
There you have it, folks — the best 10 NHL moments of the year. Take it away, The Standells…
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5