Dec 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Boston wins the Stanley Cup
In 2010, the Bruins squandered a 3-0 series lead over Philadelphia and were eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating fashion. In 2011, they twice fought back from 2-0 series deficits, won three Game 7’s and hoisted the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1972. Tim Thomas was brilliant in goal. Zdeno Chara was a force on defense. David Krejci led all playoff scorers. However, it wasn’t individual performances the B’s will be remembered for. It was their willingness to stick up for each other and to overcome adversity together as a team. For Boston sports fans, the Cup victory also capped off an amazing run that started in 2001 and has seen the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots capture at least one championship each.
There you have it, folks — the best 10 NHL moments of the year. Take it away, The Standells…
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 0
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23