Dec 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Merry Christmas, everyone. Since we can’t buy all our readers an iPad2, we’ve put together a list of the best 10 NHL moments of the past year that we’ll be rolling out on the site all day long.
Boston wins the Stanley Cup
In 2010, the Bruins squandered a 3-0 series lead over Philadelphia and were eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating fashion. In 2011, they twice fought back from 2-0 series deficits, won three Game 7’s and hoisted the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1972. Tim Thomas was brilliant in goal. Zdeno Chara was a force on defense. David Krejci led all playoff scorers. However, it wasn’t individual performances the B’s will be remembered for. It was their willingness to stick up for each other and to overcome adversity together as a team. For Boston sports fans, the Cup victory also capped off an amazing run that started in 2001 and has seen the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots capture at least one championship each.
There you have it, folks — the best 10 NHL moments of the year. Take it away, The Standells…
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5