Dec 24, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
Any team that played without three starters on defense would likely find ways to struggle. The Rangers have found ways to thrive, instead.
With no Marc Staal, Michael Sauer, Steve Eminger, and Jeff Woywitka – a mix of starters and depth alike – the Rangers have been able to plug in a mix of rookies and journeymen to keep winning. Chief among them is Anton Stralman, a guy that John Tortorella wasn’t exactly a big fan of as Dave Lozo from NHL.com finds out.
“I didn’t know who the hell he was when we got him,” Tortorella said. “When I first saw him, I didn’t like him.”
Stralman’s reputation before coming to New York was that of an offensive defenseman who was virtually allergic to playing physical hockey. Instead, Stralman has adopted to Tortorella’s ways and stepped up his game all over the ice. Tortorella says that as they’ve given him more to do, the more he’s played the way they want him to both offensively and defensively.
Seeing Stralman fit in better has to be frustrating for both Blue Jackets and Maple Leafs fans alike who saw him struggle with their teams. Now he’s working out well as a guy able to keep the Rangers defense rolling along during a mild injury crisis. Not bad for a guy who was once thought to be too soft to stick in the NHL.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks