Dec 24, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
Any team that played without three starters on defense would likely find ways to struggle. The Rangers have found ways to thrive, instead.
With no Marc Staal, Michael Sauer, Steve Eminger, and Jeff Woywitka – a mix of starters and depth alike – the Rangers have been able to plug in a mix of rookies and journeymen to keep winning. Chief among them is Anton Stralman, a guy that John Tortorella wasn’t exactly a big fan of as Dave Lozo from NHL.com finds out.
“I didn’t know who the hell he was when we got him,” Tortorella said. “When I first saw him, I didn’t like him.”
Stralman’s reputation before coming to New York was that of an offensive defenseman who was virtually allergic to playing physical hockey. Instead, Stralman has adopted to Tortorella’s ways and stepped up his game all over the ice. Tortorella says that as they’ve given him more to do, the more he’s played the way they want him to both offensively and defensively.
Seeing Stralman fit in better has to be frustrating for both Blue Jackets and Maple Leafs fans alike who saw him struggle with their teams. Now he’s working out well as a guy able to keep the Rangers defense rolling along during a mild injury crisis. Not bad for a guy who was once thought to be too soft to stick in the NHL.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)