Dec 24, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Kyle Quincey is just 26-years-old and figured to be a fixture on the Avalanche blue line. Instead, he’s been a healthy scratch two games in a row and has seen rookie Stefan Elliott take over as the latest golden boy in Denver.
All right, Elliott isn’t exactly Tim Tebow out there, but his skills have more than impressed this season and Adrian Dater of The Denver Post suspects that it could mean bad things for Quincey. Dater says that Quincey isn’t happy about being sat down and it could mean that the Avs have a trade chip to use to try and get back into the playoff hunt.
There’s no shortage of teams out there that could use a skilled defenseman like Quincey although the teams that could use his help the most might not have the cap room to afford him.
At $3.125 million, even prorated, he’d be tough for teams like Philadelphia or Buffalo (for example) to afford under the cap. If Quincey was to become a trade target, Colorado would likely have a host of suitors for a young, skilled guy that plays over 20 minutes a game. Quincey could be just learning a tough lesson about working hard consistently in being a healthy scratch, but if there’s real discord there the Avs could cash in nicely.
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)