Dec 24, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Kyle Quincey is just 26-years-old and figured to be a fixture on the Avalanche blue line. Instead, he’s been a healthy scratch two games in a row and has seen rookie Stefan Elliott take over as the latest golden boy in Denver.
All right, Elliott isn’t exactly Tim Tebow out there, but his skills have more than impressed this season and Adrian Dater of The Denver Post suspects that it could mean bad things for Quincey. Dater says that Quincey isn’t happy about being sat down and it could mean that the Avs have a trade chip to use to try and get back into the playoff hunt.
There’s no shortage of teams out there that could use a skilled defenseman like Quincey although the teams that could use his help the most might not have the cap room to afford him.
At $3.125 million, even prorated, he’d be tough for teams like Philadelphia or Buffalo (for example) to afford under the cap. If Quincey was to become a trade target, Colorado would likely have a host of suitors for a young, skilled guy that plays over 20 minutes a game. Quincey could be just learning a tough lesson about working hard consistently in being a healthy scratch, but if there’s real discord there the Avs could cash in nicely.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)