Dec 24, 2011, 1:08 PM EST
Kyle Quincey is just 26-years-old and figured to be a fixture on the Avalanche blue line. Instead, he’s been a healthy scratch two games in a row and has seen rookie Stefan Elliott take over as the latest golden boy in Denver.
All right, Elliott isn’t exactly Tim Tebow out there, but his skills have more than impressed this season and Adrian Dater of The Denver Post suspects that it could mean bad things for Quincey. Dater says that Quincey isn’t happy about being sat down and it could mean that the Avs have a trade chip to use to try and get back into the playoff hunt.
There’s no shortage of teams out there that could use a skilled defenseman like Quincey although the teams that could use his help the most might not have the cap room to afford him.
At $3.125 million, even prorated, he’d be tough for teams like Philadelphia or Buffalo (for example) to afford under the cap. If Quincey was to become a trade target, Colorado would likely have a host of suitors for a young, skilled guy that plays over 20 minutes a game. Quincey could be just learning a tough lesson about working hard consistently in being a healthy scratch, but if there’s real discord there the Avs could cash in nicely.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)