Dec 24, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Kyle Quincey is just 26-years-old and figured to be a fixture on the Avalanche blue line. Instead, he’s been a healthy scratch two games in a row and has seen rookie Stefan Elliott take over as the latest golden boy in Denver.
All right, Elliott isn’t exactly Tim Tebow out there, but his skills have more than impressed this season and Adrian Dater of The Denver Post suspects that it could mean bad things for Quincey. Dater says that Quincey isn’t happy about being sat down and it could mean that the Avs have a trade chip to use to try and get back into the playoff hunt.
There’s no shortage of teams out there that could use a skilled defenseman like Quincey although the teams that could use his help the most might not have the cap room to afford him.
At $3.125 million, even prorated, he’d be tough for teams like Philadelphia or Buffalo (for example) to afford under the cap. If Quincey was to become a trade target, Colorado would likely have a host of suitors for a young, skilled guy that plays over 20 minutes a game. Quincey could be just learning a tough lesson about working hard consistently in being a healthy scratch, but if there’s real discord there the Avs could cash in nicely.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)