Dec 24, 2011, 10:51 AM EDT
Give Ron Wilson some credit, he knows how to be heard.
The Leafs coach has been seeking out a contract extension from the team and thanks to the beauty of Twitter, he’s got a new outlet to let his wishes be known. With it being almost Christmas, Wilson went theme-style to make his desire for a new contract known to the world.
“This Xmas could be better if Santa stuffs a certain piece of paper in my stocking.
Go ahead, you’re already picturing GM Brian Burke in a Santa outfit so just get those giggles out of the way now.
Fact is, a lot is hanging on this season for Wilson. The Leafs have maybe the best roster Wilson has had since Burke brought him in to coach. The playoffs are a distinct possibility for the team and if they miss out on the postseason again, this could be it for Wilson.
The pressure to make the postseason in Toronto is sky high and while Burke has done well to build the roster, that puts the focus on Wilson to make it work out. Without doing that, seeing a contract extension happen before Wilson can prove his worth may not occur until after the season if at all.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6