Dec 24, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
Getting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off comes off rather particular considering both the NFL and NBA are going full bore with their schedule while the NHL takes two days off for the holidays. Fans might not like having the break away from games, but the players are more than thankful.
One player who’s happy to have time off is new dad and Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard. Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press having just a couple days off is a huge boost for the players.
“I just think this break is great because it’s the one day of the year I think we deserve to be able to spend time with our families. We’re constantly on the road, going back and forth all over the country, and to be able to get these three days is going to be great for us.”
The Red Wings could use the break after having a miserable trip to western Canada. Losses to Vancouver and Calgary following a narrow win over Edmonton have the Wings happy to get a break before going to Nashville on Monday to face the Predators.
Getting Christmas off is something the fans eager to have hockey to watch is something that leaves them feeling a bit hollow, but hockey players are people too. Cut ‘em a break and let them get a fat on egg nog and gingerbread.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 2
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 7
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)