Dec 24, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
Getting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off comes off rather particular considering both the NFL and NBA are going full bore with their schedule while the NHL takes two days off for the holidays. Fans might not like having the break away from games, but the players are more than thankful.
One player who’s happy to have time off is new dad and Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard. Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press having just a couple days off is a huge boost for the players.
“I just think this break is great because it’s the one day of the year I think we deserve to be able to spend time with our families. We’re constantly on the road, going back and forth all over the country, and to be able to get these three days is going to be great for us.”
The Red Wings could use the break after having a miserable trip to western Canada. Losses to Vancouver and Calgary following a narrow win over Edmonton have the Wings happy to get a break before going to Nashville on Monday to face the Predators.
Getting Christmas off is something the fans eager to have hockey to watch is something that leaves them feeling a bit hollow, but hockey players are people too. Cut ‘em a break and let them get a fat on egg nog and gingerbread.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)