Dec 24, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
Getting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off comes off rather particular considering both the NFL and NBA are going full bore with their schedule while the NHL takes two days off for the holidays. Fans might not like having the break away from games, but the players are more than thankful.
One player who’s happy to have time off is new dad and Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard. Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press having just a couple days off is a huge boost for the players.
“I just think this break is great because it’s the one day of the year I think we deserve to be able to spend time with our families. We’re constantly on the road, going back and forth all over the country, and to be able to get these three days is going to be great for us.”
The Red Wings could use the break after having a miserable trip to western Canada. Losses to Vancouver and Calgary following a narrow win over Edmonton have the Wings happy to get a break before going to Nashville on Monday to face the Predators.
Getting Christmas off is something the fans eager to have hockey to watch is something that leaves them feeling a bit hollow, but hockey players are people too. Cut ‘em a break and let them get a fat on egg nog and gingerbread.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 36
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25