Dec 24, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
Getting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off comes off rather particular considering both the NFL and NBA are going full bore with their schedule while the NHL takes two days off for the holidays. Fans might not like having the break away from games, but the players are more than thankful.
One player who’s happy to have time off is new dad and Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard. Howard tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press having just a couple days off is a huge boost for the players.
“I just think this break is great because it’s the one day of the year I think we deserve to be able to spend time with our families. We’re constantly on the road, going back and forth all over the country, and to be able to get these three days is going to be great for us.”
The Red Wings could use the break after having a miserable trip to western Canada. Losses to Vancouver and Calgary following a narrow win over Edmonton have the Wings happy to get a break before going to Nashville on Monday to face the Predators.
Getting Christmas off is something the fans eager to have hockey to watch is something that leaves them feeling a bit hollow, but hockey players are people too. Cut ‘em a break and let them get a fat on egg nog and gingerbread.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40