Dec 24, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
Give Caps leading goal scorer Jason Chimera credit, he doesn’t pull any punches when addressing the team’s play against the New Jersey Devils in a shootout loss. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley got the straight shots out of Washington.
“We weren’t ready to play. I don’t know if guys were looking forward to the Christmas break or what was wrong. But the execution was terrible. We looked like peewee hockey players. No one could make a pass; no one could get the puck out. We were fanning on the puck.”
That’s as good of a quote as you’re going to get and considering the Caps’ troubles this season and having a lackluster game against the Devils didn’t help much. It also doesn’t help that the Devils are a team the Caps are currently dealing with in the race for the playoffs. Sure, it’s early-ish in the season, but losing points at all during the season to teams you’re running with is bothersome.
It’s up to the Capitals to make sure they stop playing like little kids and make sure they don’t look back on games like this with regret.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35