Dec 23, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
The shove earned Petrell a five-minute major for checking from behind and game misconduct.
More, from Matheson:
According to league sources, Shanahan, who has suspended Petrell’s teammate Andy Sutton twice this year for hits to the head, didn’t see a shove from the backside from Petrell before Zidlicky did a toe-pick along the boards and stumbled. To Shanahan’s eye, he saw a hand in the back of Zidlicky, almost as a warning from Petrell to the defender that he was there.
So, no further disciplinary action, which means Petrell will be available to play in Vancouver Boxing Day (Dec. 26).
UPDATE: Brendan Shanahan, via the Twitter machine…
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)