Dec 23, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Here’s the hit in question:
The shove earned Petrell a five-minute major for checking from behind and game misconduct.
More, from Matheson:
According to league sources, Shanahan, who has suspended Petrell’s teammate Andy Sutton twice this year for hits to the head, didn’t see a shove from the backside from Petrell before Zidlicky did a toe-pick along the boards and stumbled. To Shanahan’s eye, he saw a hand in the back of Zidlicky, almost as a warning from Petrell to the defender that he was there.
So, no further disciplinary action, which means Petrell will be available to play in Vancouver Boxing Day (Dec. 26).
UPDATE: Brendan Shanahan, via the Twitter machine…
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 0
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)