Dec 23, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
The shove earned Petrell a five-minute major for checking from behind and game misconduct.
More, from Matheson:
According to league sources, Shanahan, who has suspended Petrell’s teammate Andy Sutton twice this year for hits to the head, didn’t see a shove from the backside from Petrell before Zidlicky did a toe-pick along the boards and stumbled. To Shanahan’s eye, he saw a hand in the back of Zidlicky, almost as a warning from Petrell to the defender that he was there.
So, no further disciplinary action, which means Petrell will be available to play in Vancouver Boxing Day (Dec. 26).
UPDATE: Brendan Shanahan, via the Twitter machine…
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 35
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 14
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)