Dec 23, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
The shove earned Petrell a five-minute major for checking from behind and game misconduct.
More, from Matheson:
According to league sources, Shanahan, who has suspended Petrell’s teammate Andy Sutton twice this year for hits to the head, didn’t see a shove from the backside from Petrell before Zidlicky did a toe-pick along the boards and stumbled. To Shanahan’s eye, he saw a hand in the back of Zidlicky, almost as a warning from Petrell to the defender that he was there.
So, no further disciplinary action, which means Petrell will be available to play in Vancouver Boxing Day (Dec. 26).
UPDATE: Brendan Shanahan, via the Twitter machine…
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)