Dec 23, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Here’s the hit in question:
The shove earned Petrell a five-minute major for checking from behind and game misconduct.
More, from Matheson:
According to league sources, Shanahan, who has suspended Petrell’s teammate Andy Sutton twice this year for hits to the head, didn’t see a shove from the backside from Petrell before Zidlicky did a toe-pick along the boards and stumbled. To Shanahan’s eye, he saw a hand in the back of Zidlicky, almost as a warning from Petrell to the defender that he was there.
So, no further disciplinary action, which means Petrell will be available to play in Vancouver Boxing Day (Dec. 26).
UPDATE: Brendan Shanahan, via the Twitter machine…
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11