Dec 23, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The New York Rangers came to play in what Ryan Callahan called a “playoff atmosphere,” but the Philadelphia Flyers seemed to show up late on Friday night. The Rangers took the 4-2 win in the two teams’ last match before the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2.
The Rangers built a 3-0 lead that included a beauty of a goal by Marian Gaborik. Gaborik seemed to favor his shoulder following a tumble into the boards after what would eventually become the game-winning tally, but there’s no word that the fragile forward is in any trouble. That’s Gabby’s 21st goal of the season, placing him in an early lead for the Maurice Richard Trophy.
The Flyers couldn’t solve Henrik Lundqvist (28 saves) until Andrej Meszaros found the net on the power play 10:21 into the third period. Jaromir Jagr heard some boos in his first game back at Madison Square Garden, but the veteran said that MSG fans were nowhere near as … inhospitable as Pittsburgh Penguins fans.
That win places the Rangers at the top of the Atlantic Division as they’re at 21 wins and 46 points with a game in hand on the Flyers:
The 2012 Winter Classic already comes with the added bonus of a natural rivalry, but judging from the current standings, there will be plenty on the line. Hopefully Philly will be focused all game long then or we could be in for another one-sided contest, though.
Here are the full highlights:
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)