Dec 23, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The New York Rangers came to play in what Ryan Callahan called a “playoff atmosphere,” but the Philadelphia Flyers seemed to show up late on Friday night. The Rangers took the 4-2 win in the two teams’ last match before the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2.
The Rangers built a 3-0 lead that included a beauty of a goal by Marian Gaborik. Gaborik seemed to favor his shoulder following a tumble into the boards after what would eventually become the game-winning tally, but there’s no word that the fragile forward is in any trouble. That’s Gabby’s 21st goal of the season, placing him in an early lead for the Maurice Richard Trophy.
The Flyers couldn’t solve Henrik Lundqvist (28 saves) until Andrej Meszaros found the net on the power play 10:21 into the third period. Jaromir Jagr heard some boos in his first game back at Madison Square Garden, but the veteran said that MSG fans were nowhere near as … inhospitable as Pittsburgh Penguins fans.
That win places the Rangers at the top of the Atlantic Division as they’re at 21 wins and 46 points with a game in hand on the Flyers:
The 2012 Winter Classic already comes with the added bonus of a natural rivalry, but judging from the current standings, there will be plenty on the line. Hopefully Philly will be focused all game long then or we could be in for another one-sided contest, though.
Here are the full highlights:
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)