Dec 23, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
The New York Rangers came to play in what Ryan Callahan called a “playoff atmosphere,” but the Philadelphia Flyers seemed to show up late on Friday night. The Rangers took the 4-2 win in the two teams’ last match before the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2.
The Rangers built a 3-0 lead that included a beauty of a goal by Marian Gaborik. Gaborik seemed to favor his shoulder following a tumble into the boards after what would eventually become the game-winning tally, but there’s no word that the fragile forward is in any trouble. That’s Gabby’s 21st goal of the season, placing him in an early lead for the Maurice Richard Trophy.
The Flyers couldn’t solve Henrik Lundqvist (28 saves) until Andrej Meszaros found the net on the power play 10:21 into the third period. Jaromir Jagr heard some boos in his first game back at Madison Square Garden, but the veteran said that MSG fans were nowhere near as … inhospitable as Pittsburgh Penguins fans.
That win places the Rangers at the top of the Atlantic Division as they’re at 21 wins and 46 points with a game in hand on the Flyers:
The 2012 Winter Classic already comes with the added bonus of a natural rivalry, but judging from the current standings, there will be plenty on the line. Hopefully Philly will be focused all game long then or we could be in for another one-sided contest, though.
Here are the full highlights:
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)