Dec 23, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
P.K. Subban knows what it’s like to be the focus of a message being sent. After all, he was benched during Montreal’s listless 4-0 loss to Winnipeg and just like that, all the problems the Canadiens are having are summed up. Whether it’s benching Subban or Lars Eller, like they were in last night’s game, the problems are a lot bigger in Montreal.
Subban and Eller were both benched to teach them and the rest of the team a lesson in what happens when you screw things up. If that sort of accountability was applied throughout the organization everyone from owner Geoff Molson down to GM Pierre Gauthier and on down to Randy Cunneyworth would have to sit one out for a bit.
As CBC’s Elliotte Friedman says, the problems in Montreal of late with how they’ve handled firing coaches, making big trades, and allowing a language dispute to become the biggest issue all start and end now with Molson.
Montreal isn’t in bad shape in the standings being just four points out of a playoff spot, but things look horrendous on the ice. It’s time for everyone to put the soap opera stuff aside and work on fixing the hockey side of things. Whether that means potentially getting Bob Gainey involved running the team again, as Friedman says is being discussed, so be it.
Seeing things spiral more out of control in Quebec only means bad news for everyone there.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)