Dec 23, 2011, 9:11 AM EST
P.K. Subban knows what it’s like to be the focus of a message being sent. After all, he was benched during Montreal’s listless 4-0 loss to Winnipeg and just like that, all the problems the Canadiens are having are summed up. Whether it’s benching Subban or Lars Eller, like they were in last night’s game, the problems are a lot bigger in Montreal.
Subban and Eller were both benched to teach them and the rest of the team a lesson in what happens when you screw things up. If that sort of accountability was applied throughout the organization everyone from owner Geoff Molson down to GM Pierre Gauthier and on down to Randy Cunneyworth would have to sit one out for a bit.
As CBC’s Elliotte Friedman says, the problems in Montreal of late with how they’ve handled firing coaches, making big trades, and allowing a language dispute to become the biggest issue all start and end now with Molson.
Montreal isn’t in bad shape in the standings being just four points out of a playoff spot, but things look horrendous on the ice. It’s time for everyone to put the soap opera stuff aside and work on fixing the hockey side of things. Whether that means potentially getting Bob Gainey involved running the team again, as Friedman says is being discussed, so be it.
Seeing things spiral more out of control in Quebec only means bad news for everyone there.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)