Dec 23, 2011, 9:11 AM EST
P.K. Subban knows what it’s like to be the focus of a message being sent. After all, he was benched during Montreal’s listless 4-0 loss to Winnipeg and just like that, all the problems the Canadiens are having are summed up. Whether it’s benching Subban or Lars Eller, like they were in last night’s game, the problems are a lot bigger in Montreal.
Subban and Eller were both benched to teach them and the rest of the team a lesson in what happens when you screw things up. If that sort of accountability was applied throughout the organization everyone from owner Geoff Molson down to GM Pierre Gauthier and on down to Randy Cunneyworth would have to sit one out for a bit.
As CBC’s Elliotte Friedman says, the problems in Montreal of late with how they’ve handled firing coaches, making big trades, and allowing a language dispute to become the biggest issue all start and end now with Molson.
Montreal isn’t in bad shape in the standings being just four points out of a playoff spot, but things look horrendous on the ice. It’s time for everyone to put the soap opera stuff aside and work on fixing the hockey side of things. Whether that means potentially getting Bob Gainey involved running the team again, as Friedman says is being discussed, so be it.
Seeing things spiral more out of control in Quebec only means bad news for everyone there.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)