Dec 23, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov is the feel-good hit of 24/7 after his tales about the universe and tigers and his Siberian husky being like a beautiful blonde. He’s odd, irreverent, and a bit nutty just the same, but he’s impossible to dislike even as a Flyers goaltender. One thing he says he isn’t, however, is funny.
Dave Isaac of Philadelphia Sports Daily asked Bryzgalov about his new stardom and he didn’t think he was all too amusing.
“Is it funny?” he asked. “To me is not funny.”
I can only hope this line was followed up with an explanation about how Czar Nicholas was like Big Bird during his reign in Russia.
Part of the fun for fans and casual onlookers during 24/7 is seeing how these guys are off the ice and Bryzgalov’s wacky personality makes him immediately likable. Then again, there’s a disarming aspect to it for these guys in that their normal routine and ways are being shown to millions. All of a sudden what was normal is seen as fascinating and worthy of curiosity.
That said, here’s to hoping we get to see Bryzgalov discuss the pluses and minuses of cheesesteaks with Jaromir Jagr at some point.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 10
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)