Dec 23, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov is the feel-good hit of 24/7 after his tales about the universe and tigers and his Siberian husky being like a beautiful blonde. He’s odd, irreverent, and a bit nutty just the same, but he’s impossible to dislike even as a Flyers goaltender. One thing he says he isn’t, however, is funny.
Dave Isaac of Philadelphia Sports Daily asked Bryzgalov about his new stardom and he didn’t think he was all too amusing.
“Is it funny?” he asked. “To me is not funny.”
I can only hope this line was followed up with an explanation about how Czar Nicholas was like Big Bird during his reign in Russia.
Part of the fun for fans and casual onlookers during 24/7 is seeing how these guys are off the ice and Bryzgalov’s wacky personality makes him immediately likable. Then again, there’s a disarming aspect to it for these guys in that their normal routine and ways are being shown to millions. All of a sudden what was normal is seen as fascinating and worthy of curiosity.
That said, here’s to hoping we get to see Bryzgalov discuss the pluses and minuses of cheesesteaks with Jaromir Jagr at some point.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 5
- In praise of John Tavares 13
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36