Dec 23, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov is the feel-good hit of 24/7 after his tales about the universe and tigers and his Siberian husky being like a beautiful blonde. He’s odd, irreverent, and a bit nutty just the same, but he’s impossible to dislike even as a Flyers goaltender. One thing he says he isn’t, however, is funny.
Dave Isaac of Philadelphia Sports Daily asked Bryzgalov about his new stardom and he didn’t think he was all too amusing.
“Is it funny?” he asked. “To me is not funny.”
I can only hope this line was followed up with an explanation about how Czar Nicholas was like Big Bird during his reign in Russia.
Part of the fun for fans and casual onlookers during 24/7 is seeing how these guys are off the ice and Bryzgalov’s wacky personality makes him immediately likable. Then again, there’s a disarming aspect to it for these guys in that their normal routine and ways are being shown to millions. All of a sudden what was normal is seen as fascinating and worthy of curiosity.
That said, here’s to hoping we get to see Bryzgalov discuss the pluses and minuses of cheesesteaks with Jaromir Jagr at some point.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)