Dec 23, 2011, 12:41 PM EDT
Even though he was given the night off against Calgary on Thursday, Detroit’s Jimmy Howard was still in a combative mood.
In speaking with MLive.com, the Wings goalie re-iterated his frustration with what he perceives as increased contact this year. His boiling point came during Wednesday’s 4-2 loss to Vancouver when he was bowled over by Jannik Hansen, rendering Howard unable to save Alex Edler‘s insurance marker.
“I’m just sick and tired of getting run over,” Howard said after the Canucks game. “It’s every single game.”
On Thursday, Howard further explained his stance.
“In that situation, it could have been [called] incidental contact and faceoff goes outside [the zone],” he said. “Simple as that.”
Howard then went on to say goalies shouldn’t be put at risk for injury, yet doesn’t object to players driving hard to the net.
“As a goalie, you want to be able to do your job, make saves for your team,” he said. “Sometimes, to make the save, you have to put yourself in a vulnerable position, and the last thing you want to do is ring your head off of one of the posts.
“But, I’m a tough guy and I have no problem with guys going toward the net and trying to create scoring opportunities.”
Howard’s comments are newsworthy given heightened sensitivity to goalies getting run over. Ryan Miller and Al Montoya have both been knocked out of action after colliding with opposing forwards — Miller’s coach, Lindy Ruff, went to far as to say it’s “open season” on netminders this year.
For Howard, though, there may be another side to the story. He currently leads the NHL in wins (20), sits fifth in GAA (1.99) and 12th in save percentage (.925) — so, could opposing teams be trying to rattle him in what’s been the best start of his career?
“Oh, yeah, probably, most definitely,” Howard said. “But that stuff really isn’t going to take me off my game.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)