Dec 23, 2011, 12:41 PM EDT
Even though he was given the night off against Calgary on Thursday, Detroit’s Jimmy Howard was still in a combative mood.
In speaking with MLive.com, the Wings goalie re-iterated his frustration with what he perceives as increased contact this year. His boiling point came during Wednesday’s 4-2 loss to Vancouver when he was bowled over by Jannik Hansen, rendering Howard unable to save Alex Edler‘s insurance marker.
“I’m just sick and tired of getting run over,” Howard said after the Canucks game. “It’s every single game.”
On Thursday, Howard further explained his stance.
“In that situation, it could have been [called] incidental contact and faceoff goes outside [the zone],” he said. “Simple as that.”
Howard then went on to say goalies shouldn’t be put at risk for injury, yet doesn’t object to players driving hard to the net.
“As a goalie, you want to be able to do your job, make saves for your team,” he said. “Sometimes, to make the save, you have to put yourself in a vulnerable position, and the last thing you want to do is ring your head off of one of the posts.
“But, I’m a tough guy and I have no problem with guys going toward the net and trying to create scoring opportunities.”
Howard’s comments are newsworthy given heightened sensitivity to goalies getting run over. Ryan Miller and Al Montoya have both been knocked out of action after colliding with opposing forwards — Miller’s coach, Lindy Ruff, went to far as to say it’s “open season” on netminders this year.
For Howard, though, there may be another side to the story. He currently leads the NHL in wins (20), sits fifth in GAA (1.99) and 12th in save percentage (.925) — so, could opposing teams be trying to rattle him in what’s been the best start of his career?
“Oh, yeah, probably, most definitely,” Howard said. “But that stuff really isn’t going to take me off my game.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 46
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)