Dec 23, 2011, 9:50 PM EST
Back-to-back games aren’t easy, but winning one against a rested, roaring Boston Bruins team seems next to impossible. The Florida Panthers found that out the hard way Friday night as Boston handed them a brutal 8-0 loss.
Brad Marchand continues to show that his playoff performances weren’t a fluke. He scored a hat trick and two assists to stand out among a series of standout producers. Marchand now has 15 goals and 29 points in 33 games this season.
There were only two Panthers who didn’t have negative plus/minus ratings tonight: Erik Gudbranson (15:42 of ice time) and Matt Bradley (17:15 TOI). Jose Theodore allowed four goals in one period and Scott Clemmensen allowed four in the final two frames.
It was an ugly performance, but the Panthers have some reasons to shake it off. Again, this was the tail-end of a back-to-back game and Florida faced three games in just four nights.
The best reason not to worry is that they faced the buzz saw known as the Bruins, though. They’ve been the best team in the NHL since shaking off the haze of a Stanley Cup hangover.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)