Dec 23, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
Back-to-back games aren’t easy, but winning one against a rested, roaring Boston Bruins team seems next to impossible. The Florida Panthers found that out the hard way Friday night as Boston handed them a brutal 8-0 loss.
Brad Marchand continues to show that his playoff performances weren’t a fluke. He scored a hat trick and two assists to stand out among a series of standout producers. Marchand now has 15 goals and 29 points in 33 games this season.
There were only two Panthers who didn’t have negative plus/minus ratings tonight: Erik Gudbranson (15:42 of ice time) and Matt Bradley (17:15 TOI). Jose Theodore allowed four goals in one period and Scott Clemmensen allowed four in the final two frames.
It was an ugly performance, but the Panthers have some reasons to shake it off. Again, this was the tail-end of a back-to-back game and Florida faced three games in just four nights.
The best reason not to worry is that they faced the buzz saw known as the Bruins, though. They’ve been the best team in the NHL since shaking off the haze of a Stanley Cup hangover.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)