Dec 23, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
When the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been shooting self-aware Christmas videos, they’ve been lighting goalies up and winning more often than not. They haven’t always been getting great goaltending from Corey Crawford, however, so when Ray Emery looked swell in a nice chunk of games, some wondered if the ‘Hawks top spot might be up for grabs.
That’s simply not the case, according to the team. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers caught up with Joel Quenneville, who looks at the situation like a luxury instead of a controversy.
When it comes down to it, Crawford and Emery only really need to tread water most nights thanks to Chicago’s elite offensive attack. Neither netminder has All-Star caliber numbers, but Emery does have slightly better stats.
Crawford: 24 games played, 13-7-2, 2.91 GAA and .898 save percentage
Emery: 14 GP, 9-2-2, 2.54 GAA and .908 save percentage
The Blackhawks are putting a positive spin on the situation, yet if the goal is to push for their second Stanley Cup in three seasons, they’ll need better work from their should-be No. 1 guy Crawford. It might not be a crisis or controversy just yet, but it’s a growing concern – especially if their offensive “luxury” dries up.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)