Dec 23, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
When the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been shooting self-aware Christmas videos, they’ve been lighting goalies up and winning more often than not. They haven’t always been getting great goaltending from Corey Crawford, however, so when Ray Emery looked swell in a nice chunk of games, some wondered if the ‘Hawks top spot might be up for grabs.
That’s simply not the case, according to the team. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers caught up with Joel Quenneville, who looks at the situation like a luxury instead of a controversy.
When it comes down to it, Crawford and Emery only really need to tread water most nights thanks to Chicago’s elite offensive attack. Neither netminder has All-Star caliber numbers, but Emery does have slightly better stats.
Crawford: 24 games played, 13-7-2, 2.91 GAA and .898 save percentage
Emery: 14 GP, 9-2-2, 2.54 GAA and .908 save percentage
The Blackhawks are putting a positive spin on the situation, yet if the goal is to push for their second Stanley Cup in three seasons, they’ll need better work from their should-be No. 1 guy Crawford. It might not be a crisis or controversy just yet, but it’s a growing concern – especially if their offensive “luxury” dries up.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 32
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 104
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement