Dec 23, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
When the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been shooting self-aware Christmas videos, they’ve been lighting goalies up and winning more often than not. They haven’t always been getting great goaltending from Corey Crawford, however, so when Ray Emery looked swell in a nice chunk of games, some wondered if the ‘Hawks top spot might be up for grabs.
That’s simply not the case, according to the team. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers caught up with Joel Quenneville, who looks at the situation like a luxury instead of a controversy.
When it comes down to it, Crawford and Emery only really need to tread water most nights thanks to Chicago’s elite offensive attack. Neither netminder has All-Star caliber numbers, but Emery does have slightly better stats.
Crawford: 24 games played, 13-7-2, 2.91 GAA and .898 save percentage
Emery: 14 GP, 9-2-2, 2.54 GAA and .908 save percentage
The Blackhawks are putting a positive spin on the situation, yet if the goal is to push for their second Stanley Cup in three seasons, they’ll need better work from their should-be No. 1 guy Crawford. It might not be a crisis or controversy just yet, but it’s a growing concern – especially if their offensive “luxury” dries up.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)