Dec 23, 2011, 7:24 PM EST
When the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t been shooting self-aware Christmas videos, they’ve been lighting goalies up and winning more often than not. They haven’t always been getting great goaltending from Corey Crawford, however, so when Ray Emery looked swell in a nice chunk of games, some wondered if the ‘Hawks top spot might be up for grabs.
That’s simply not the case, according to the team. CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers caught up with Joel Quenneville, who looks at the situation like a luxury instead of a controversy.
When it comes down to it, Crawford and Emery only really need to tread water most nights thanks to Chicago’s elite offensive attack. Neither netminder has All-Star caliber numbers, but Emery does have slightly better stats.
Crawford: 24 games played, 13-7-2, 2.91 GAA and .898 save percentage
Emery: 14 GP, 9-2-2, 2.54 GAA and .908 save percentage
The Blackhawks are putting a positive spin on the situation, yet if the goal is to push for their second Stanley Cup in three seasons, they’ll need better work from their should-be No. 1 guy Crawford. It might not be a crisis or controversy just yet, but it’s a growing concern – especially if their offensive “luxury” dries up.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 151
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)