Dec 23, 2011, 2:54 PM EDT
What a nice young man Cody Hodgson is. According to the Vancouver Province, the 21-year-old Canucks forward remembered to buy a ticket for a very special fan to watch his first NHL hockey game in Toronto last weekend.
That very special fan was his Grade 1 teacher, Laraine Forgrave, who taught Hodgson at Victoria Street Elementary School in Haliburton, Ont. and always believed in his dream to play in the NHL.
“She was so different than all the other teachers that I had,” said Hodgson. “I was in Grade 1 and everything I did was about hockey – all my journals, any of the stories I had to make up – it all related to hockey. She was pretty special. Other teaches always said, ‘You’ve got to find something else besides hockey, you’ve got to have Plan B. Nobody makes the NHL, you’ve got to be realistic.’
“She was totally different. I had to miss half a day of school in Grade 1 to play in an away tournament and she said, ‘It’s fine, just get me a ticket when you get to the NHL.’”
So to all you teachers out there – don’t forget to believe in the dreams of your students. Might get some free stuff out of it.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 0
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 42
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)