Dec 22, 2011, 1:14 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks put forth an impressive display in beating the Detroit Red Wings 4-2 on Wednesday, but that’s not what most were talking about afterward.
The hit was hard, but trying to properly classify it is even harder. Seriously, what do you call that? A flying posterior check? A 180 bodycheck? I’m pretty sure Kronwall led with his back, which is kind of crazy.
As for the aftermath…Kesler got two minutes for roughing (more on that in a sec) and the hit appeared to give the Canucks a spark. Alex Edler scored shorthanded on Kesler’s ensuing penalty and Vancouver was far more engaged physically for the remainder of the period.
Following the game, Kesler shared his thoughts on the incident.
“I like the hit, but I don’t like the fact he doesn’t stand up for himself,” Kesler said. “I think you gotta answer the bell on that one.
“I gotta get my head up. Obviously you see him backing up and you know that’s his move there. I think you have to put the blame on the ‘hittee’ a little bit, but I also think he’s gotta stand up for himself.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (94)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)