Dec 22, 2011, 11:53 PM EDT
How do you say “horrific train wreck” in French?
OK, that might be a bit excessive, but things are starting to get ugly for the Montreal Canadiens. The Winnipeg Jets muted them 4-0 tonight to push Randy Cunneyworth’s record to an unsettling 0-4-0.
Sure, the Jets have been red-hot at home; they’re now 7-1-1 in their last nine games. That probably won’t sweeten the bitter taste for Habs fans, though.
The feeling is that a combination of linguistics and losses will inevitably do Cunneyworth in, but the focus is starting to shift to GM Pierre Gauthier. Honestly, it probably should have been there from the beginning. General managers tend to have the ears of owners more often than coaches, so there should be no surprise that franchises fire the cook instead of the grocery shopper in most situations – even if GMs are equally (if not more) to blame.
Either way, it’s a depressing situation, unless you’re Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec. His play has been picking up lately, but he’s fallen short of a few extra wins because Winnipeg occasionally struggles to score. He spoke up a couple times on that issue and the team scored four goals for him tonight.
Considering better play from Calgary, the Jets’ status as the second-ranked team in the Southeast and the youth movement in Edmonton, it’s quite possible that the Habs are currently the NHL’s most rudderless Canadian team.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)