Dec 22, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
Minus-2 – New Jersey’s plus/minus…while shorthanded. Nine power-play goals allowed, seven shorthanded goals scored. We’ve raved about the Devils’ PK before in Some Stats. It might not be the flashiest story, but consider this – the Leafs are minus-31 shorthanded.
7-1 – New Jersey’s record in the shootout. The Devils’ dominance in the breakaway competition has helped them to sixth place in the Eastern Conference, meaning they’d make the playoffs if they started today. It begs the question, should a team with the fifth fewest regulation/overtime wins (11) in the league be in a position to qualify for the postseason? Meanwhile, Washington has 16 R/OT victories and finds itself on the outside looking in.
43 – Number of players with more goals than Alex Ovechkin. Not to beat a dead horse, but 11 goals in 32 games? At the pace Ovechkin’s on, he’ll finish the season with 28 goals. A good total for most players; a disaster for a guy who once scored 65. Ovechkin has two goals in his last three games, so maybe there’s reason to believe he’s turning it around. Then again, remember when Ovechkin scoring two goals in three games wasn’t even close to worth talking about?
5:04 – Average shorthanded ice time for Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin. Put another way, Beauchemin is spending over 8% of the game killing Anaheim penalties. He must be doing a pretty good, too – the Ducks’ PK is 12th in the NHL (82.5%). By the way, Beauchemin’s a pending UFA on a non-playoff team. Aren’t the Flyers looking for a defenseman that can play big minutes?
19 – Goals for Marian Gaborik. Including four in his last two games. Is this getting enough attention? The Rangers’ sniper is only one goal behind league leaders Jonathan Toews and Steven Stamkos. Gaborik’s not playing with Brad Richards, if you thought that might be it. He’s on a line with sophomore Derek Stepan in the middle and the apologetic Artem Anisimov on the other wing. Gaborik finished with 22 goals last season. He’s currently on pace for 50.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness