Dec 22, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
Minus-2 – New Jersey’s plus/minus…while shorthanded. Nine power-play goals allowed, seven shorthanded goals scored. We’ve raved about the Devils’ PK before in Some Stats. It might not be the flashiest story, but consider this – the Leafs are minus-31 shorthanded.
7-1 – New Jersey’s record in the shootout. The Devils’ dominance in the breakaway competition has helped them to sixth place in the Eastern Conference, meaning they’d make the playoffs if they started today. It begs the question, should a team with the fifth fewest regulation/overtime wins (11) in the league be in a position to qualify for the postseason? Meanwhile, Washington has 16 R/OT victories and finds itself on the outside looking in.
43 – Number of players with more goals than Alex Ovechkin. Not to beat a dead horse, but 11 goals in 32 games? At the pace Ovechkin’s on, he’ll finish the season with 28 goals. A good total for most players; a disaster for a guy who once scored 65. Ovechkin has two goals in his last three games, so maybe there’s reason to believe he’s turning it around. Then again, remember when Ovechkin scoring two goals in three games wasn’t even close to worth talking about?
5:04 – Average shorthanded ice time for Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin. Put another way, Beauchemin is spending over 8% of the game killing Anaheim penalties. He must be doing a pretty good, too – the Ducks’ PK is 12th in the NHL (82.5%). By the way, Beauchemin’s a pending UFA on a non-playoff team. Aren’t the Flyers looking for a defenseman that can play big minutes?
19 – Goals for Marian Gaborik. Including four in his last two games. Is this getting enough attention? The Rangers’ sniper is only one goal behind league leaders Jonathan Toews and Steven Stamkos. Gaborik’s not playing with Brad Richards, if you thought that might be it. He’s on a line with sophomore Derek Stepan in the middle and the apologetic Artem Anisimov on the other wing. Gaborik finished with 22 goals last season. He’s currently on pace for 50.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)