Dec 22, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT
“Engelland drives up to deliver a check, launching himself and making Kruger’s head the principal point of contact with his left forearm,” Shanahan explains. “Although Engelland has Kruger lined up for what could potentially be a clean, full-body check, his elevation and launch upon impact — as well as the way Engelland forcefully drives his hands and arms up and into the face area — makes this, in our eyes, a recklessly targeted shot to Kruger’s head.”
Shanahan then went onto say that while Kruger returned to the game, he was eventually pulled and has since been diagnosed with a concussion.
It’s doubtful this ruling will garner much opposition, though it should be noted there wasn’t a penalty on the play. Engelland hasn’t spoken publicly since the hit and the Penguins have remained tight-lipped about the incident. All coach Dan Bylsma would say is the hit was hard and that “it was a full body check by Deryk.”
The suspension will go into effect tomorrow, meaning Engelland won’t be available for Pittsburgh’s game in Winnipeg. He’ll also miss dates against the Hurricanes (Dec. 27) and Flyers (Dec. 29) before being eligible to return for a Dec. 31 game in New Jersey.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Engelland will fork over $9,189.18 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)