Dec 22, 2011, 3:07 PM EST
“Engelland drives up to deliver a check, launching himself and making Kruger’s head the principal point of contact with his left forearm,” Shanahan explains. “Although Engelland has Kruger lined up for what could potentially be a clean, full-body check, his elevation and launch upon impact — as well as the way Engelland forcefully drives his hands and arms up and into the face area — makes this, in our eyes, a recklessly targeted shot to Kruger’s head.”
Shanahan then went onto say that while Kruger returned to the game, he was eventually pulled and has since been diagnosed with a concussion.
It’s doubtful this ruling will garner much opposition, though it should be noted there wasn’t a penalty on the play. Engelland hasn’t spoken publicly since the hit and the Penguins have remained tight-lipped about the incident. All coach Dan Bylsma would say is the hit was hard and that “it was a full body check by Deryk.”
The suspension will go into effect tomorrow, meaning Engelland won’t be available for Pittsburgh’s game in Winnipeg. He’ll also miss dates against the Hurricanes (Dec. 27) and Flyers (Dec. 29) before being eligible to return for a Dec. 31 game in New Jersey.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Engelland will fork over $9,189.18 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 3
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)