Dec 22, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT
“Engelland drives up to deliver a check, launching himself and making Kruger’s head the principal point of contact with his left forearm,” Shanahan explains. “Although Engelland has Kruger lined up for what could potentially be a clean, full-body check, his elevation and launch upon impact — as well as the way Engelland forcefully drives his hands and arms up and into the face area — makes this, in our eyes, a recklessly targeted shot to Kruger’s head.”
Shanahan then went onto say that while Kruger returned to the game, he was eventually pulled and has since been diagnosed with a concussion.
It’s doubtful this ruling will garner much opposition, though it should be noted there wasn’t a penalty on the play. Engelland hasn’t spoken publicly since the hit and the Penguins have remained tight-lipped about the incident. All coach Dan Bylsma would say is the hit was hard and that “it was a full body check by Deryk.”
The suspension will go into effect tomorrow, meaning Engelland won’t be available for Pittsburgh’s game in Winnipeg. He’ll also miss dates against the Hurricanes (Dec. 27) and Flyers (Dec. 29) before being eligible to return for a Dec. 31 game in New Jersey.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Engelland will fork over $9,189.18 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 2
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 66
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)