Dec 22, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT
“Engelland drives up to deliver a check, launching himself and making Kruger’s head the principal point of contact with his left forearm,” Shanahan explains. “Although Engelland has Kruger lined up for what could potentially be a clean, full-body check, his elevation and launch upon impact — as well as the way Engelland forcefully drives his hands and arms up and into the face area — makes this, in our eyes, a recklessly targeted shot to Kruger’s head.”
Shanahan then went onto say that while Kruger returned to the game, he was eventually pulled and has since been diagnosed with a concussion.
It’s doubtful this ruling will garner much opposition, though it should be noted there wasn’t a penalty on the play. Engelland hasn’t spoken publicly since the hit and the Penguins have remained tight-lipped about the incident. All coach Dan Bylsma would say is the hit was hard and that “it was a full body check by Deryk.”
The suspension will go into effect tomorrow, meaning Engelland won’t be available for Pittsburgh’s game in Winnipeg. He’ll also miss dates against the Hurricanes (Dec. 27) and Flyers (Dec. 29) before being eligible to return for a Dec. 31 game in New Jersey.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Engelland will fork over $9,189.18 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)