Dec 22, 2011, 11:59 AM EDT
Head coach Alain Vigneault said Bolland’s IQ was “probably the size of a birdseed” and had “a face only a mother could look at.”
As for Daniel and Henrik? They kept mum on the issue — then went out and dominated on the ice.
Bolland made the comments on Dec. 12 and the story blew up nationally two days later. Since then, the Canucks have played four times — in Carolina and Toronto, then at home against Minnesota and Detroit — going 3-1 over that stretch. As for the Sedins?
vs. Carolina: (out, back)
vs. Toronto: 1G
vs. Minnesota: 3A
vs. Detroit: 1A
vs. Carolina: 2A
vs. Toronto: 1A
vs. Minnesota: 1G, 2A
vs. Detroit: 1A
They’ve combined for 12 points in four games. If you throw in contributions from linemate Alex Burrows — he has six points over that stretch, including a four-game goal streak — it’s the hottest line in hockey, bar none.
While Burrows has been great, it’s the Sedins that have impressed throughout the league, earning high praise from some of the biggest stars. That includes countryman and Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom.
“It’s hard to defend against them,” Lidstrom told the Detroit Free Press. “They’re so good at finding each other, throwing passes behind their backs and just having a knack for finding the back of the net, too. You’ve got to try to keep them on the outside, but they’re very smarthockey players.”
Call it sisterly intuition. But call it that at your own peril.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)