Dec 22, 2011, 12:54 AM EDT
Things keep getting worse in Montreal, as Randy Cunneyworth is now 0-3 as the interim Canadiens coach. The Chicago Blackhawks pounded his team 5-1 tonight, which surely won’t translate well considering the furor regarding his hiring and first two losses.
Andrei Kostitsyn started the scoring in the second period, but that started a run of five unanswered goals for the Blackhawks. Perhaps most embarrassingly, Chicago had just as many goals (three) as the Habs had shots in the final frame.
The linguistic and cultural backlash is dominating much of the discussion right now, but things will only get uglier if Cunneyworth goes longer without a win. The humorous part is that much of the blame should fall at the feet of their French-speaking GM with a very French-sounding name, Pierre Gauthier.
Check out the highlights below.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)