Dec 22, 2011, 12:54 AM EDT
Things keep getting worse in Montreal, as Randy Cunneyworth is now 0-3 as the interim Canadiens coach. The Chicago Blackhawks pounded his team 5-1 tonight, which surely won’t translate well considering the furor regarding his hiring and first two losses.
Andrei Kostitsyn started the scoring in the second period, but that started a run of five unanswered goals for the Blackhawks. Perhaps most embarrassingly, Chicago had just as many goals (three) as the Habs had shots in the final frame.
The linguistic and cultural backlash is dominating much of the discussion right now, but things will only get uglier if Cunneyworth goes longer without a win. The humorous part is that much of the blame should fall at the feet of their French-speaking GM with a very French-sounding name, Pierre Gauthier.
Check out the highlights below.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 3
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 8
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 5
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2