Dec 22, 2011, 10:59 PM EST
After gathering with torches and demanding the head of the Scotts (Howson and Arniel) in Columbus a while, the firing fire seemed to die down. The angry mob likely disspiated thanks to a combination of great work by Curtis Sanford and general shock that the Blue Jackets’ duo simply weren’t going to get canned.
The furor might rise again, however, after the Blue Jackets coughed up two three-goal leads to the Nashville Predators. Columbus went up 4-1 with about four minutes to go in the first period and 5-2 eight minutes into the second, but the Preds came roaring back. Martin Erat added injury to insult by depriving CBJ of a face-saving point by scoring a 6-5 game-winner with nine seconds left.
This loss is the humiliating cherry on top of a sundae of embarrassment for the Blue Jackets, but the Predators deserve credit for charging back into that game. Although the Predators’ 2.68 goal-per-game average is about on par with last season’s 2.6, Nashville came into tonight’s game with the 13th-ranked scoring average in the NHL. Maybe it’s just a few steps in the right direction, but teams shouldn’t assume that they can just sit on leads against the industrious Preds anymore.
Well, teams as bad as Columbus, at least.
There’s some talk that Sanford wasn’t really healthy enough to be in net, but context can’t save Columbus right now. You have to wonder if this might be the last straw, although most of us assumed the camel’s back was already broken months ago.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 22
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 34
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)