Dec 22, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars won’t meet again this season – unless it’s in the Stanley Cup finals. Their irregular matchups didn’t keep the game from getting physical, but the most controversial moment almost might be the strangest. Stars agitator Steve Ott and Flyers coach Peter Laviolette briefly shoved each other as both were trying to leave the ice during the first intermission of what was eventually a 4-1 Flyers win.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio caught up with Ott, who had these comments about the exchange.
“I mean, have a little respect,” Ott said. “They’re supposed to go the other way. If the coaches use the tunnel, then they wait for the players. That’s just the way it always is.
“I mean, if he has to be ‘that guy,’ I guess he can be. But there should be a mutual respect there. I wouldn’t do it to his Philadelphia Flyers team, and he shouldn’t do it to ours.”
Laviolette deflected questions about the mini-scuffle, but Panaccio reports that Colin Campbell will review the situation since it’s an exchange between a coach and a player.
Honestly, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, even if it’s a bizarre situation. It could be incredibly interesting fodder for next week’s episode of HBO 24/7, but I’d guess that’s the most that will come from it. Feel free to share how you feel about the way the NHL should handle the situation in the comments, though.
(For what it’s worth, the Stars’ tunnel was blocked so Laviolette took the same exit as the Flyers squad did during the second intermission.)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 40
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 18
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 42
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 53
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal