Dec 22, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars won’t meet again this season – unless it’s in the Stanley Cup finals. Their irregular matchups didn’t keep the game from getting physical, but the most controversial moment almost might be the strangest. Stars agitator Steve Ott and Flyers coach Peter Laviolette briefly shoved each other as both were trying to leave the ice during the first intermission of what was eventually a 4-1 Flyers win.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio caught up with Ott, who had these comments about the exchange.
“I mean, have a little respect,” Ott said. “They’re supposed to go the other way. If the coaches use the tunnel, then they wait for the players. That’s just the way it always is.
“I mean, if he has to be ‘that guy,’ I guess he can be. But there should be a mutual respect there. I wouldn’t do it to his Philadelphia Flyers team, and he shouldn’t do it to ours.”
Laviolette deflected questions about the mini-scuffle, but Panaccio reports that Colin Campbell will review the situation since it’s an exchange between a coach and a player.
Honestly, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, even if it’s a bizarre situation. It could be incredibly interesting fodder for next week’s episode of HBO 24/7, but I’d guess that’s the most that will come from it. Feel free to share how you feel about the way the NHL should handle the situation in the comments, though.
(For what it’s worth, the Stars’ tunnel was blocked so Laviolette took the same exit as the Flyers squad did during the second intermission.)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)