Dec 22, 2011, 10:10 PM EDT
Just about every NHL team has a guy who can be an absolute force when everything clicks. A lot of pundits will criticize “light switch” players for their “off” nights, but the truth is that it’s not always that simple. Still, there’s some concern that a recent suspension and plenty of controversy might slow down the battering ram known as Milan Lucic.
Neither the Boston Bruins nor Lucic want the hulking winger to yield to the pressure to alter his approach, though, according to this story by CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
“I can’t change my game,” Lucic said. “I play with a lot of emotion and I do everything I can to keep it safe and follow the guidelines of the new hitting protocol. Obviously a big part of my game is being physical and creating emotion, and I can’t lose that part of my game.”
That game happens to feature a frightening combination of killer instinct and imposing size, which means he’s prone to play the role of an occasional villain. Lucic joked about his appearance on last night’s episode of HBO 24/7, when Philadelphia Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds lambasted him for a supposed hit from behind, screaming “You know you did it, Looch!”
An unrepentant Lucic is a great thing for the Bruins and an unsettling thing for the NHL’s other 29 teams. There’s nothing wrong with him embracing a villainous role, as long as he isn’t tying anyone to train tracks or checking people skull-first.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)