Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s exhibit No. 4,329 of Winnipeggers Being Really Happy to Have the Jets Back — yesterday, Manitoba Public Insurance announced its initial run of 20,000 Jets license plates had sold out…in eight days.
But don’t fret, Winnipeggers. Additional plates are on their way!
“Due to the overwhelming response from Manitobans, an additional 5,000 Winnipeg Jets licence plates will be available at Autopac agents, beginning Friday, Dec. 23,” MPI stated in a news release.
The plates — which cost 70 bucks, 30 going to charity — have become so popular that MPI released an accompanying license plate Q&A. My personal favorite:
Q: I own a set of [Canadian Football League’s Winnipeg] Blue Bomber plates. Can I have a Bomber plate on the front of my vehicle and Jet plate at the rear?
A: No. The plates cannot be mixed. Either your vehicle has Bomber plates or Jet plates. You can change plates as the sporting seasons change. Customers must also notify their Autopac agent prior to doing so.
Winnipeg: So adorable.
Should be noted Winnipeg isn’t the only Canadian city obsessively purchasing sports-related merchandise. Fans of the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders are equally keen — last year, the Roughriders finished third among all Canadian sports teams in merch sales (behind only the Maple Leafs and Canadiens) thanks in large part to putting their logo on everything imaginable. There are Rider-themed light switch covers, ceramic chip and dip bowls, motor oil, fish hooks, poker sets and antifreeze (dyed Rider green — though knowing Saskatchewan, this could be for flavor purposes.)
It’s now your move, Winnipeg. How will you follow-up the license plate craze? Me, I’m thinking Jets-Brand Chocolate Frosted Frosty Flakes. “Only sugar has more sugar!”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)