Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s exhibit No. 4,329 of Winnipeggers Being Really Happy to Have the Jets Back — yesterday, Manitoba Public Insurance announced its initial run of 20,000 Jets license plates had sold out…in eight days.
But don’t fret, Winnipeggers. Additional plates are on their way!
“Due to the overwhelming response from Manitobans, an additional 5,000 Winnipeg Jets licence plates will be available at Autopac agents, beginning Friday, Dec. 23,” MPI stated in a news release.
The plates — which cost 70 bucks, 30 going to charity — have become so popular that MPI released an accompanying license plate Q&A. My personal favorite:
Q: I own a set of [Canadian Football League’s Winnipeg] Blue Bomber plates. Can I have a Bomber plate on the front of my vehicle and Jet plate at the rear?
A: No. The plates cannot be mixed. Either your vehicle has Bomber plates or Jet plates. You can change plates as the sporting seasons change. Customers must also notify their Autopac agent prior to doing so.
Winnipeg: So adorable.
Should be noted Winnipeg isn’t the only Canadian city obsessively purchasing sports-related merchandise. Fans of the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders are equally keen — last year, the Roughriders finished third among all Canadian sports teams in merch sales (behind only the Maple Leafs and Canadiens) thanks in large part to putting their logo on everything imaginable. There are Rider-themed light switch covers, ceramic chip and dip bowls, motor oil, fish hooks, poker sets and antifreeze (dyed Rider green — though knowing Saskatchewan, this could be for flavor purposes.)
It’s now your move, Winnipeg. How will you follow-up the license plate craze? Me, I’m thinking Jets-Brand Chocolate Frosted Frosty Flakes. “Only sugar has more sugar!”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)