Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s exhibit No. 4,329 of Winnipeggers Being Really Happy to Have the Jets Back — yesterday, Manitoba Public Insurance announced its initial run of 20,000 Jets license plates had sold out…in eight days.
But don’t fret, Winnipeggers. Additional plates are on their way!
“Due to the overwhelming response from Manitobans, an additional 5,000 Winnipeg Jets licence plates will be available at Autopac agents, beginning Friday, Dec. 23,” MPI stated in a news release.
The plates — which cost 70 bucks, 30 going to charity — have become so popular that MPI released an accompanying license plate Q&A. My personal favorite:
Q: I own a set of [Canadian Football League’s Winnipeg] Blue Bomber plates. Can I have a Bomber plate on the front of my vehicle and Jet plate at the rear?
A: No. The plates cannot be mixed. Either your vehicle has Bomber plates or Jet plates. You can change plates as the sporting seasons change. Customers must also notify their Autopac agent prior to doing so.
Winnipeg: So adorable.
Should be noted Winnipeg isn’t the only Canadian city obsessively purchasing sports-related merchandise. Fans of the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders are equally keen — last year, the Roughriders finished third among all Canadian sports teams in merch sales (behind only the Maple Leafs and Canadiens) thanks in large part to putting their logo on everything imaginable. There are Rider-themed light switch covers, ceramic chip and dip bowls, motor oil, fish hooks, poker sets and antifreeze (dyed Rider green — though knowing Saskatchewan, this could be for flavor purposes.)
It’s now your move, Winnipeg. How will you follow-up the license plate craze? Me, I’m thinking Jets-Brand Chocolate Frosted Frosty Flakes. “Only sugar has more sugar!”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25