Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s exhibit No. 4,329 of Winnipeggers Being Really Happy to Have the Jets Back — yesterday, Manitoba Public Insurance announced its initial run of 20,000 Jets license plates had sold out…in eight days.
But don’t fret, Winnipeggers. Additional plates are on their way!
“Due to the overwhelming response from Manitobans, an additional 5,000 Winnipeg Jets licence plates will be available at Autopac agents, beginning Friday, Dec. 23,” MPI stated in a news release.
The plates — which cost 70 bucks, 30 going to charity — have become so popular that MPI released an accompanying license plate Q&A. My personal favorite:
Q: I own a set of [Canadian Football League’s Winnipeg] Blue Bomber plates. Can I have a Bomber plate on the front of my vehicle and Jet plate at the rear?
A: No. The plates cannot be mixed. Either your vehicle has Bomber plates or Jet plates. You can change plates as the sporting seasons change. Customers must also notify their Autopac agent prior to doing so.
Winnipeg: So adorable.
Should be noted Winnipeg isn’t the only Canadian city obsessively purchasing sports-related merchandise. Fans of the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders are equally keen — last year, the Roughriders finished third among all Canadian sports teams in merch sales (behind only the Maple Leafs and Canadiens) thanks in large part to putting their logo on everything imaginable. There are Rider-themed light switch covers, ceramic chip and dip bowls, motor oil, fish hooks, poker sets and antifreeze (dyed Rider green — though knowing Saskatchewan, this could be for flavor purposes.)
It’s now your move, Winnipeg. How will you follow-up the license plate craze? Me, I’m thinking Jets-Brand Chocolate Frosted Frosty Flakes. “Only sugar has more sugar!”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)