Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Here’s exhibit No. 4,329 of Winnipeggers Being Really Happy to Have the Jets Back — yesterday, Manitoba Public Insurance announced its initial run of 20,000 Jets license plates had sold out…in eight days.
But don’t fret, Winnipeggers. Additional plates are on their way!
“Due to the overwhelming response from Manitobans, an additional 5,000 Winnipeg Jets licence plates will be available at Autopac agents, beginning Friday, Dec. 23,” MPI stated in a news release.
The plates — which cost 70 bucks, 30 going to charity — have become so popular that MPI released an accompanying license plate Q&A. My personal favorite:
Q: I own a set of [Canadian Football League's Winnipeg] Blue Bomber plates. Can I have a Bomber plate on the front of my vehicle and Jet plate at the rear?
A: No. The plates cannot be mixed. Either your vehicle has Bomber plates or Jet plates. You can change plates as the sporting seasons change. Customers must also notify their Autopac agent prior to doing so.
Winnipeg: So adorable.
Should be noted Winnipeg isn’t the only Canadian city obsessively purchasing sports-related merchandise. Fans of the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders are equally keen — last year, the Roughriders finished third among all Canadian sports teams in merch sales (behind only the Maple Leafs and Canadiens) thanks in large part to putting their logo on everything imaginable. There are Rider-themed light switch covers, ceramic chip and dip bowls, motor oil, fish hooks, poker sets and antifreeze (dyed Rider green — though knowing Saskatchewan, this could be for flavor purposes.)
It’s now your move, Winnipeg. How will you follow-up the license plate craze? Me, I’m thinking Jets-Brand Chocolate Frosted Frosty Flakes. “Only sugar has more sugar!”
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)