Dec 21, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
It could prove to be a big night for the Flyers as they head to take on the Stars in Dallas (7:30 p.m. ET on Versus). The NHL’s co-leading scorer Claude Giroux is shaping up to be ready to play tonight after missing time with a concussion. Giroux has missed four games but hasn’t relinquished his scoring lead to Phil Kessel, Henrik Sedin or the red-hot Evgeni Malkin.
Seeing Giroux rejoin his linemates Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr should give the Flyers a spark as they’ve dropped two games in a row. Getting drubbed by Boston is one thing, losing in a shootout to Colorado is something else entirely. Ilya Bryzgalov (or Sergei Bobrovsky) are going to have to be sharper to take out the Stars.
As we saw on Monday night, Dallas can be tough and score goals on top of all of that. While beating the lowly Ducks is expected of a team sitting atop the Pacific Division, doing it with your third string goalie makes it more special. Richard Bachman has been outstanding in usurping the top job while Kari Lehtonen is out with a groin injury. The Flyers should prove to be his biggest test yet, however.
It’s straight-forward that the Stars will need big games out of their top guys in Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, and Brenden Morrow to counteract the barrage that the Flyers will throw at them. Eric Nystrom could stand to show up with more of his sandpaper and goal scoring too.
Guys we’d love to hear mic’d up but the FCC would hate: Steve Ott and Maxime Talbot. Here’s to hoping HBO has Talbot wired for this game because the amount of chatter between these two is worthy of its own mini-series.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)