Dec 21, 2011, 7:30 AM EST
It could prove to be a big night for the Flyers as they head to take on the Stars in Dallas (7:30 p.m. ET on Versus). The NHL’s co-leading scorer Claude Giroux is shaping up to be ready to play tonight after missing time with a concussion. Giroux has missed four games but hasn’t relinquished his scoring lead to Phil Kessel, Henrik Sedin or the red-hot Evgeni Malkin.
Seeing Giroux rejoin his linemates Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr should give the Flyers a spark as they’ve dropped two games in a row. Getting drubbed by Boston is one thing, losing in a shootout to Colorado is something else entirely. Ilya Bryzgalov (or Sergei Bobrovsky) are going to have to be sharper to take out the Stars.
As we saw on Monday night, Dallas can be tough and score goals on top of all of that. While beating the lowly Ducks is expected of a team sitting atop the Pacific Division, doing it with your third string goalie makes it more special. Richard Bachman has been outstanding in usurping the top job while Kari Lehtonen is out with a groin injury. The Flyers should prove to be his biggest test yet, however.
It’s straight-forward that the Stars will need big games out of their top guys in Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, and Brenden Morrow to counteract the barrage that the Flyers will throw at them. Eric Nystrom could stand to show up with more of his sandpaper and goal scoring too.
Guys we’d love to hear mic’d up but the FCC would hate: Steve Ott and Maxime Talbot. Here’s to hoping HBO has Talbot wired for this game because the amount of chatter between these two is worthy of its own mini-series.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2