Dec 21, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
It could prove to be a big night for the Flyers as they head to take on the Stars in Dallas (7:30 p.m. ET on Versus). The NHL’s co-leading scorer Claude Giroux is shaping up to be ready to play tonight after missing time with a concussion. Giroux has missed four games but hasn’t relinquished his scoring lead to Phil Kessel, Henrik Sedin or the red-hot Evgeni Malkin.
Seeing Giroux rejoin his linemates Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr should give the Flyers a spark as they’ve dropped two games in a row. Getting drubbed by Boston is one thing, losing in a shootout to Colorado is something else entirely. Ilya Bryzgalov (or Sergei Bobrovsky) are going to have to be sharper to take out the Stars.
As we saw on Monday night, Dallas can be tough and score goals on top of all of that. While beating the lowly Ducks is expected of a team sitting atop the Pacific Division, doing it with your third string goalie makes it more special. Richard Bachman has been outstanding in usurping the top job while Kari Lehtonen is out with a groin injury. The Flyers should prove to be his biggest test yet, however.
It’s straight-forward that the Stars will need big games out of their top guys in Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, and Brenden Morrow to counteract the barrage that the Flyers will throw at them. Eric Nystrom could stand to show up with more of his sandpaper and goal scoring too.
Guys we’d love to hear mic’d up but the FCC would hate: Steve Ott and Maxime Talbot. Here’s to hoping HBO has Talbot wired for this game because the amount of chatter between these two is worthy of its own mini-series.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)