Dec 21, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
While the losses in Buffalo have continued to mount, there’s something more disturbing about their play of late.
The Sabres are a soft team.
This might not be too much of a shock especially after seeing how the team didn’t respond to Milan Lucic running over Ryan Miller over a month ago, but team-wide the Sabres lack any sort of presence on the ice that makes them feared. Oh sure, there’s plenty of talent there with Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, and Derek Roy. There’s plenty of speed to burn here too, but both up front and on defense they lack any kind of intimidating physical presence.
Take a look up and down the Sabres lineup and try to find a physical, defensive player that makes you think they’ve got that sandpaper-like ability to win those power battles. Robyn Regehr is the closest player they’ve got to that on defense. Amongst the forwards, Cody McCormick plays tough and Patrick Kaleta makes sure you have your head on a swivel, but a power forward? Nowhere to be found.
That lack of physical presence is hurting them too. The Sabres look out of sync defensively and teams are able to maneuver around them too easily. Look at what Ottawa did to them last night winning 4-1. Lindy Ruff can only do so much with who he’s got and it’s up to Darcy Regier to fix this very apparent hole on the team before things get too out of control.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)