Dec 21, 2011, 8:57 AM EDT
While the losses in Buffalo have continued to mount, there’s something more disturbing about their play of late.
The Sabres are a soft team.
This might not be too much of a shock especially after seeing how the team didn’t respond to Milan Lucic running over Ryan Miller over a month ago, but team-wide the Sabres lack any sort of presence on the ice that makes them feared. Oh sure, there’s plenty of talent there with Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, and Derek Roy. There’s plenty of speed to burn here too, but both up front and on defense they lack any kind of intimidating physical presence.
Take a look up and down the Sabres lineup and try to find a physical, defensive player that makes you think they’ve got that sandpaper-like ability to win those power battles. Robyn Regehr is the closest player they’ve got to that on defense. Amongst the forwards, Cody McCormick plays tough and Patrick Kaleta makes sure you have your head on a swivel, but a power forward? Nowhere to be found.
That lack of physical presence is hurting them too. The Sabres look out of sync defensively and teams are able to maneuver around them too easily. Look at what Ottawa did to them last night winning 4-1. Lindy Ruff can only do so much with who he’s got and it’s up to Darcy Regier to fix this very apparent hole on the team before things get too out of control.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)