Dec 21, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The NHL might not think they’ve got an epidemic on their hands, but the daily injury reports seem to disagree.
Ottawa’s Jesse Winchester is the latest name on the league’s injury list with a concussion. Winchester was put out of act in the first period of Ottawa’s 4-1 win over Buffalo when he took a wicked hit from Paul Gaustad.
As we’re finding out, concussions aren’t limited to any player be it the league’s leading scorer or a fourth line grinder. Winchester has just two goals and five assists this season for the Senators, but the point here is that he’s yet another player going out of action thanks to a head injury. As of now, there’s no timetable for Winchester’s return.
Hockey is a violent game by nature and the safety of the players should be the top priority, but with the amount of risk that goes into the game, that’s a special brand of dedication that makes players go out and do it every night.
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 0
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 1
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 33
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot