Dec 21, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
The NHL might not think they’ve got an epidemic on their hands, but the daily injury reports seem to disagree.
Ottawa’s Jesse Winchester is the latest name on the league’s injury list with a concussion. Winchester was put out of act in the first period of Ottawa’s 4-1 win over Buffalo when he took a wicked hit from Paul Gaustad.
As we’re finding out, concussions aren’t limited to any player be it the league’s leading scorer or a fourth line grinder. Winchester has just two goals and five assists this season for the Senators, but the point here is that he’s yet another player going out of action thanks to a head injury. As of now, there’s no timetable for Winchester’s return.
Hockey is a violent game by nature and the safety of the players should be the top priority, but with the amount of risk that goes into the game, that’s a special brand of dedication that makes players go out and do it every night.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)