Dec 21, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
Here’s a comprehensive roundup of today’s concussion coverage from Comcast SportsNet NHL insiders:
Kevin Kurz (CSN Bay Area), Tracey Myers (CSN Chicago), Joe Haggerty (CSN New England), Tim Panaccio (CSN Philadelphia) and Chuck Gormley (CSN Washington) discuss concussion causes, remedies and answer the question: Are we seeing a concussion crisis?
Gormley discusses how head injuries have impacted once-exciting rivalries like Capitals-Penguins and Penguins-Flyers.
Three videos here. 1) Claude Giroux talks about his concussion and those suffered by Sidney Crosby and Chris Pronger. 2) Pronger’s neurologist, Dr. Steven Bromley, talks about the complexity of diagnosing and treating the injury. 3) Eric Lindros talks about the speed at which hockey’s currently being played and how it’s impacted the concussion epidemic.
Former Flyers center Keith Primeau talks about his post-concussion symptoms and what he’s trying to do to prevent head injuries in hockey.
- Risk Factors: Philadelphia Flyers edition 2
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 10
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 18
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)