Dec 21, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
Here’s a comprehensive roundup of today’s concussion coverage from Comcast SportsNet NHL insiders:
Kevin Kurz (CSN Bay Area), Tracey Myers (CSN Chicago), Joe Haggerty (CSN New England), Tim Panaccio (CSN Philadelphia) and Chuck Gormley (CSN Washington) discuss concussion causes, remedies and answer the question: Are we seeing a concussion crisis?
Gormley discusses how head injuries have impacted once-exciting rivalries like Capitals-Penguins and Penguins-Flyers.
Three videos here. 1) Claude Giroux talks about his concussion and those suffered by Sidney Crosby and Chris Pronger. 2) Pronger’s neurologist, Dr. Steven Bromley, talks about the complexity of diagnosing and treating the injury. 3) Eric Lindros talks about the speed at which hockey’s currently being played and how it’s impacted the concussion epidemic.
Former Flyers center Keith Primeau talks about his post-concussion symptoms and what he’s trying to do to prevent head injuries in hockey.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 16
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)