Dec 21, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
Here’s a comprehensive roundup of today’s concussion coverage from Comcast SportsNet NHL insiders:
Kevin Kurz (CSN Bay Area), Tracey Myers (CSN Chicago), Joe Haggerty (CSN New England), Tim Panaccio (CSN Philadelphia) and Chuck Gormley (CSN Washington) discuss concussion causes, remedies and answer the question: Are we seeing a concussion crisis?
Gormley discusses how head injuries have impacted once-exciting rivalries like Capitals-Penguins and Penguins-Flyers.
Three videos here. 1) Claude Giroux talks about his concussion and those suffered by Sidney Crosby and Chris Pronger. 2) Pronger’s neurologist, Dr. Steven Bromley, talks about the complexity of diagnosing and treating the injury. 3) Eric Lindros talks about the speed at which hockey’s currently being played and how it’s impacted the concussion epidemic.
Former Flyers center Keith Primeau talks about his post-concussion symptoms and what he’s trying to do to prevent head injuries in hockey.
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 1
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 45
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)