Dec 21, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
Big news out of Dallas from Philly.com’s Frank Seravalli, who reports Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux should be back in the lineup tonight against the Stars.
While great news for Flyers fans, the news has to be something of a surprise — Giroux suffered the second concussion of his career just 11 days ago and has only missed four games dealing with post-concussion symptoms. That said, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren did say his star player was cleared for full-contact activities on Saturday (probably explaining why Giroux was pushing and shoving at practice on Sunday, even while wearing a non-contact jersey.) That’s alleviated some concerns that he was being rushed back into action.
Yesterday Giroux was a full participant in practice, skating on a line with Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr. It was his third-straight day of full practice and the first time he took a big hit — courtesy Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn.
“I felt good,” said Giroux. “It’s pretty much the same [as before]. I went in the corners with Coby and told him to hit me a little bit. And that felt pretty good, too.”
Further evidence that Giroux will be playing tonight? The Flyers snuck in a player transaction in just prior to Monday’s midnight league-wide roster freeze, sending defenseman Kevin Marshall back to Adirondack of the AHL.
Too bad for HBO 24/7, as Marshall seemed to thoroughly enjoy singing and dancing to “Knock Knock”:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5