Dec 21, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
Big news out of Dallas from Philly.com’s Frank Seravalli, who reports Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux should be back in the lineup tonight against the Stars.
While great news for Flyers fans, the news has to be something of a surprise — Giroux suffered the second concussion of his career just 11 days ago and has only missed four games dealing with post-concussion symptoms. That said, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren did say his star player was cleared for full-contact activities on Saturday (probably explaining why Giroux was pushing and shoving at practice on Sunday, even while wearing a non-contact jersey.) That’s alleviated some concerns that he was being rushed back into action.
Yesterday Giroux was a full participant in practice, skating on a line with Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr. It was his third-straight day of full practice and the first time he took a big hit — courtesy Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn.
“I felt good,” said Giroux. “It’s pretty much the same [as before]. I went in the corners with Coby and told him to hit me a little bit. And that felt pretty good, too.”
Further evidence that Giroux will be playing tonight? The Flyers snuck in a player transaction in just prior to Monday’s midnight league-wide roster freeze, sending defenseman Kevin Marshall back to Adirondack of the AHL.
Too bad for HBO 24/7, as Marshall seemed to thoroughly enjoy singing and dancing to “Knock Knock”:
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 31
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles