Dec 21, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
NHL players hop over the boards countless times during the course of a season. It’s likely that none of them are worried about getting hurt during that routine practice, but Martin Havlat may not ever feel the same after a freakish accident put him on the shelf. The San Jose Sharks announced that Havlat underwent surgery because of that injury and will be out an estimated six-to-eight weeks, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
Pollak reports that Havlat needed surgery for a partially torn hamstring.
This is the biggest hurdle in a very challenging first Sharks season for Havlat. A shoulder injury delayed his debut until Oct. 21. Havlat compiled 15 points in 26 games, which isn’t totally awful when you consider the fact that he had one stretch in which he had just one assist and zero goals in nine games.
The injury window indicates that he might not be able to get back until sometime between February and March, so it’s almost like a lost season for Havlat. Perhaps the Sharks would be satisfied if he can simply shake off any rust by the time the playoffs start, though.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)