Dec 21, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
NHL players hop over the boards countless times during the course of a season. It’s likely that none of them are worried about getting hurt during that routine practice, but Martin Havlat may not ever feel the same after a freakish accident put him on the shelf. The San Jose Sharks announced that Havlat underwent surgery because of that injury and will be out an estimated six-to-eight weeks, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
Pollak reports that Havlat needed surgery for a partially torn hamstring.
This is the biggest hurdle in a very challenging first Sharks season for Havlat. A shoulder injury delayed his debut until Oct. 21. Havlat compiled 15 points in 26 games, which isn’t totally awful when you consider the fact that he had one stretch in which he had just one assist and zero goals in nine games.
The injury window indicates that he might not be able to get back until sometime between February and March, so it’s almost like a lost season for Havlat. Perhaps the Sharks would be satisfied if he can simply shake off any rust by the time the playoffs start, though.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)