Dec 21, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
NHL players hop over the boards countless times during the course of a season. It’s likely that none of them are worried about getting hurt during that routine practice, but Martin Havlat may not ever feel the same after a freakish accident put him on the shelf. The San Jose Sharks announced that Havlat underwent surgery because of that injury and will be out an estimated six-to-eight weeks, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
Pollak reports that Havlat needed surgery for a partially torn hamstring.
This is the biggest hurdle in a very challenging first Sharks season for Havlat. A shoulder injury delayed his debut until Oct. 21. Havlat compiled 15 points in 26 games, which isn’t totally awful when you consider the fact that he had one stretch in which he had just one assist and zero goals in nine games.
The injury window indicates that he might not be able to get back until sometime between February and March, so it’s almost like a lost season for Havlat. Perhaps the Sharks would be satisfied if he can simply shake off any rust by the time the playoffs start, though.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)