Dec 21, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
NHL players hop over the boards countless times during the course of a season. It’s likely that none of them are worried about getting hurt during that routine practice, but Martin Havlat may not ever feel the same after a freakish accident put him on the shelf. The San Jose Sharks announced that Havlat underwent surgery because of that injury and will be out an estimated six-to-eight weeks, according to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
Pollak reports that Havlat needed surgery for a partially torn hamstring.
This is the biggest hurdle in a very challenging first Sharks season for Havlat. A shoulder injury delayed his debut until Oct. 21. Havlat compiled 15 points in 26 games, which isn’t totally awful when you consider the fact that he had one stretch in which he had just one assist and zero goals in nine games.
The injury window indicates that he might not be able to get back until sometime between February and March, so it’s almost like a lost season for Havlat. Perhaps the Sharks would be satisfied if he can simply shake off any rust by the time the playoffs start, though.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)