Dec 21, 2011, 1:03 PM EST
Peter Forsberg really should’ve thought twice about admitting Sweden threw a game in the 2006 Olympics. The amount of blow back and outrage from some fans for the rather unsportsmanlike display has painted Forsberg and the Swedes in a negative light.
That’s why Forsberg is stepping back from his claims and saying he was taken out of context.
“What I meant to say was that even for someone like me, with a winning mentality, it is sometimes difficult to find full motivation for a match that doesn’t have to be won at any cost,” Forsberg said.
Backpedaling that hard, that fast could help you travel backwards in time.
In a report that aired over the weekend in Sweden, Forsberg said that he saw no reason for Sweden to beat Slovakia and that while coaches didn’t tell them to tank the game, the players may have taken it upon themselves to do it anyhow. A win over Slovakia would’ve put the Swedes against Canada or Russia in the next round. Instead, they got Switzerland on their way to winning gold.
To paint the picture for you, that 2006 Sweden team had Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Mats Sundin as well as Henrik and Daniel Sedin among other superstars. Henrik Sedin denied the allegation that they threw the game. Slovakia wasn’t exactly as talent-laden featuring Marian Hossa, Zdeno Chara, and Marian Gaborik among others.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)