Dec 21, 2011, 1:03 PM EST
Peter Forsberg really should’ve thought twice about admitting Sweden threw a game in the 2006 Olympics. The amount of blow back and outrage from some fans for the rather unsportsmanlike display has painted Forsberg and the Swedes in a negative light.
That’s why Forsberg is stepping back from his claims and saying he was taken out of context.
“What I meant to say was that even for someone like me, with a winning mentality, it is sometimes difficult to find full motivation for a match that doesn’t have to be won at any cost,” Forsberg said.
Backpedaling that hard, that fast could help you travel backwards in time.
In a report that aired over the weekend in Sweden, Forsberg said that he saw no reason for Sweden to beat Slovakia and that while coaches didn’t tell them to tank the game, the players may have taken it upon themselves to do it anyhow. A win over Slovakia would’ve put the Swedes against Canada or Russia in the next round. Instead, they got Switzerland on their way to winning gold.
To paint the picture for you, that 2006 Sweden team had Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Mats Sundin as well as Henrik and Daniel Sedin among other superstars. Henrik Sedin denied the allegation that they threw the game. Slovakia wasn’t exactly as talent-laden featuring Marian Hossa, Zdeno Chara, and Marian Gaborik among others.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)