Dec 21, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
Peter Forsberg really should’ve thought twice about admitting Sweden threw a game in the 2006 Olympics. The amount of blow back and outrage from some fans for the rather unsportsmanlike display has painted Forsberg and the Swedes in a negative light.
That’s why Forsberg is stepping back from his claims and saying he was taken out of context.
“What I meant to say was that even for someone like me, with a winning mentality, it is sometimes difficult to find full motivation for a match that doesn’t have to be won at any cost,” Forsberg said.
Backpedaling that hard, that fast could help you travel backwards in time.
In a report that aired over the weekend in Sweden, Forsberg said that he saw no reason for Sweden to beat Slovakia and that while coaches didn’t tell them to tank the game, the players may have taken it upon themselves to do it anyhow. A win over Slovakia would’ve put the Swedes against Canada or Russia in the next round. Instead, they got Switzerland on their way to winning gold.
To paint the picture for you, that 2006 Sweden team had Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Mats Sundin as well as Henrik and Daniel Sedin among other superstars. Henrik Sedin denied the allegation that they threw the game. Slovakia wasn’t exactly as talent-laden featuring Marian Hossa, Zdeno Chara, and Marian Gaborik among others.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)