Dec 21, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
Peter Forsberg really should’ve thought twice about admitting Sweden threw a game in the 2006 Olympics. The amount of blow back and outrage from some fans for the rather unsportsmanlike display has painted Forsberg and the Swedes in a negative light.
That’s why Forsberg is stepping back from his claims and saying he was taken out of context.
“What I meant to say was that even for someone like me, with a winning mentality, it is sometimes difficult to find full motivation for a match that doesn’t have to be won at any cost,” Forsberg said.
Backpedaling that hard, that fast could help you travel backwards in time.
In a report that aired over the weekend in Sweden, Forsberg said that he saw no reason for Sweden to beat Slovakia and that while coaches didn’t tell them to tank the game, the players may have taken it upon themselves to do it anyhow. A win over Slovakia would’ve put the Swedes against Canada or Russia in the next round. Instead, they got Switzerland on their way to winning gold.
To paint the picture for you, that 2006 Sweden team had Forsberg, Nicklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Mats Sundin as well as Henrik and Daniel Sedin among other superstars. Henrik Sedin denied the allegation that they threw the game. Slovakia wasn’t exactly as talent-laden featuring Marian Hossa, Zdeno Chara, and Marian Gaborik among others.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)