Dec 21, 2011, 1:15 PM EST
He only has two goals in 22 games for the Los Angeles Kings, but really, how can you criticize a guy who quotes Homer Simpson when asked how his struggling team can turn things around?
“You just put away that rage and put it into a little ball and unleash it at the appropriate time,” Dustin Penner told Fox Sports West. “Like the day daddy hit the referee with the whiskey bottle. Remember that, when daddy hit the referee?”
That quote courtesy the “Whacking Day” episode from the 1993 season of The Simpsons — an episode, incidentally, that also features Homer saying this: “Lisa, maybe if I’m part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions. Now where’s my giant foam cowboy hat and air horn?”
Apparently Penner has referenced The Simpsons before during interviews.
When asked over the summer how it felt to be ripped by the fans for his play on the ice, Penner told LA Kings Insider, “The one thing I can say — and I don’t know if you watch The Simpsons, the episode with Darryl Strawberry, when they start (chanting) ‘Darryl, Darryl,’ and there’s a tear in his eye — I used to laugh at that, and now I don’t.”
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 6
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63