Dec 21, 2011, 11:25 AM EST
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
We’ve spotlighted this CNBC Sports Business report with Darren Rovell previously on PHT, but it bears re-mentioning in light of recent events.
Rovell was asked the question: Are concussions hurting the NHL?
Here’s what he had to say.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following up on Rovell’s second point (when superstars miss games, the league’s wallet is effected) consider the stars currently shelved with concussions/head injuries:
Sidney Crosby: Hart, Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy winner. Stanley Cup champion.
Chris Pronger: Norris and Hart Trophy winner. Stanley Cup Champion.
Marc Savard: Former NHL All-Star. Stanley Cup Champion.
Claude Giroux: At the time of injury, led the NHL in points.
Milan Michalek: At the time of injury, led the NHL in goals.
Jeff Skinner: Reigning Calder Trophy winner.
Mike Richards: Former NHL All-Star.
Kris Letang: Former NHL All-Star.
For more on the current status of concussions throughout the NHL, check out USA Today’s concussion tracker.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)