Dec 21, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
We’ve spotlighted this CNBC Sports Business report with Darren Rovell previously on PHT, but it bears re-mentioning in light of recent events.
Rovell was asked the question: Are concussions hurting the NHL?
Here’s what he had to say.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following up on Rovell’s second point (when superstars miss games, the league’s wallet is effected) consider the stars currently shelved with concussions/head injuries:
Sidney Crosby: Hart, Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy winner. Stanley Cup champion.
Chris Pronger: Norris and Hart Trophy winner. Stanley Cup Champion.
Marc Savard: Former NHL All-Star. Stanley Cup Champion.
Claude Giroux: At the time of injury, led the NHL in points.
Milan Michalek: At the time of injury, led the NHL in goals.
Jeff Skinner: Reigning Calder Trophy winner.
Mike Richards: Former NHL All-Star.
Kris Letang: Former NHL All-Star.
For more on the current status of concussions throughout the NHL, check out USA Today’s concussion tracker.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 1
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 94
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)