Dec 21, 2011, 11:25 AM EST
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
We’ve spotlighted this CNBC Sports Business report with Darren Rovell previously on PHT, but it bears re-mentioning in light of recent events.
Rovell was asked the question: Are concussions hurting the NHL?
Here’s what he had to say.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following up on Rovell’s second point (when superstars miss games, the league’s wallet is effected) consider the stars currently shelved with concussions/head injuries:
Sidney Crosby: Hart, Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy winner. Stanley Cup champion.
Chris Pronger: Norris and Hart Trophy winner. Stanley Cup Champion.
Marc Savard: Former NHL All-Star. Stanley Cup Champion.
Claude Giroux: At the time of injury, led the NHL in points.
Milan Michalek: At the time of injury, led the NHL in goals.
Jeff Skinner: Reigning Calder Trophy winner.
Mike Richards: Former NHL All-Star.
Kris Letang: Former NHL All-Star.
For more on the current status of concussions throughout the NHL, check out USA Today’s concussion tracker.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 21
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11