Dec 21, 2011, 11:25 AM EST
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
We’ve spotlighted this CNBC Sports Business report with Darren Rovell previously on PHT, but it bears re-mentioning in light of recent events.
Rovell was asked the question: Are concussions hurting the NHL?
Here’s what he had to say.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following up on Rovell’s second point (when superstars miss games, the league’s wallet is effected) consider the stars currently shelved with concussions/head injuries:
Sidney Crosby: Hart, Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy winner. Stanley Cup champion.
Chris Pronger: Norris and Hart Trophy winner. Stanley Cup Champion.
Marc Savard: Former NHL All-Star. Stanley Cup Champion.
Claude Giroux: At the time of injury, led the NHL in points.
Milan Michalek: At the time of injury, led the NHL in goals.
Jeff Skinner: Reigning Calder Trophy winner.
Mike Richards: Former NHL All-Star.
Kris Letang: Former NHL All-Star.
For more on the current status of concussions throughout the NHL, check out USA Today’s concussion tracker.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)