Dec 21, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
This post is part of a series looking at the issue and impact of concussions in the NHL. ProHockeyTalk and Comcast SportsNet are featuring pieces today as a lead-in to tonight’s special edition of NHL Live on Versus (6:30 p.m. EST.)
We’ve spotlighted this CNBC Sports Business report with Darren Rovell previously on PHT, but it bears re-mentioning in light of recent events.
Rovell was asked the question: Are concussions hurting the NHL?
Here’s what he had to say.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following up on Rovell’s second point (when superstars miss games, the league’s wallet is effected) consider the stars currently shelved with concussions/head injuries:
Sidney Crosby: Hart, Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy winner. Stanley Cup champion.
Chris Pronger: Norris and Hart Trophy winner. Stanley Cup Champion.
Marc Savard: Former NHL All-Star. Stanley Cup Champion.
Claude Giroux: At the time of injury, led the NHL in points.
Milan Michalek: At the time of injury, led the NHL in goals.
Jeff Skinner: Reigning Calder Trophy winner.
Mike Richards: Former NHL All-Star.
Kris Letang: Former NHL All-Star.
For more on the current status of concussions throughout the NHL, check out USA Today’s concussion tracker.
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 0
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 4
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 46
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (50)