Dec 21, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s sensational season was put on hold with a concussion on Dec. 10, but he built up enough of a points lead that he entered tonight’s action tied for first place with 39 points. He could probably take another game or two off if that’s his desire after his sensational four-point game in a 4-1 win against the Dallas Stars tonight.
That effort places Giroux all alone in first place with 43 points in just 29 games. It was no accident, either, as it seemed like his line created a scoring chance on almost every shift.
The nearly inevitable Sidney Crosby comparisons continue, but that’s not a horrible thing in this case. The good comparison is that Giroux matched Crosby’s four points in a concussion comeback. Hopefully he won’t match the bad parallel of getting hurt again soon after, though.
Here’s his one goal and the first of four points, which wasn’t quite as pretty as most of his productive moments for Thursday and this fantastic 2011-12 campaign.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are the highlights from the game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 6
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36