Dec 21, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s sensational season was put on hold with a concussion on Dec. 10, but he built up enough of a points lead that he entered tonight’s action tied for first place with 39 points. He could probably take another game or two off if that’s his desire after his sensational four-point game in a 4-1 win against the Dallas Stars tonight.
That effort places Giroux all alone in first place with 43 points in just 29 games. It was no accident, either, as it seemed like his line created a scoring chance on almost every shift.
The nearly inevitable Sidney Crosby comparisons continue, but that’s not a horrible thing in this case. The good comparison is that Giroux matched Crosby’s four points in a concussion comeback. Hopefully he won’t match the bad parallel of getting hurt again soon after, though.
Here’s his one goal and the first of four points, which wasn’t quite as pretty as most of his productive moments for Thursday and this fantastic 2011-12 campaign.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are the highlights from the game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 13
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 29
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)