Dec 21, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
The media’s already weighed in on Montreal hiring Randy Cunneyworth as its interim head coach.
Now a franchise icon is taking his turn.
Guy Carbonneau — who won a Stanley Cup playing for the Habs and earned a Jack Adams nomination as their coach — said he understands Cunneyworth’s plight, but knows any Montreal bench boss must be able to speak French.
“He’s living a dream, which is doing what he loves for one of the best franchises in the NHL, and he’s caught in a storm,” Carbonneau told the Associated Press. “It’s premature. You have to give him a chance to show what he can do and if he’s willing to learn.
“But there’s no doubt in my mind that the coach of the Montreal Canadiens has to speak both languages, at least to some extent.”
Carbonneau isn’t the first ex-Hab to speak out about the Cunneyworth hire. Former player and general manager Serge Savard blasted the move, saying the Canadiens “belong to the people.” That’s a sentiment shared by many Quebeckers, though it’s unfair to put Carbonneau’s comments in that category. If anything, his take was more analytical than critical.
“It’s one thing to say he’s willing to learn it and another to actually learn it,” Carbonneau said. “The job he has now is really demanding. You have to prepare the team. You have to eat and sleep. I don’t know where learning French is going to fit in his schedule.”
Cunneyworth — who noted he took French in high school — has said he’s hoping to learn the language.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)