Dec 20, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks
Everyone knew the inspiration for the TTP award was going to win it eventually. Not because he’s the reason the award exists, but because he’s had myriad hot streaks throughout his career.
Luongo’s latest run features a 6-0-1 record in Vancouver’s past seven games. His save percentage over that stretch is .949 — a marked improvement from October when he went 3-3-1 with a .869 save percentage and there were calls for him to be traded, or possibly even shot into outer space.
Last night at Rogers Arena, Luongo shut out the Wild for his first perfect game of the season. He was especially good in the first period when Minnesota outplayed a shaky Canucks side.
“Obviously, we came out and execution wise we might have been a little bit off,” Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said. “But that’s why you’ve got a great goaltender. He kept us in and (enabled) us to find our legs and find our hands.”
Roberto Luongo, everyone.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)