Dec 20, 2011, 7:30 AM EST
The Blackhawks come into tonight’s game in Pittsburgh against the Penguins (7:30 p.m. ET) riding high on a five-game winning streak and winner of seven of their last eight. The main man behind Chicago’s success? None other than goalie Ray Emery.
Emery has won all five games in their latest streak and while taking the starting job away from Corey Crawford seemed to be a long shot when the season began, Emery’s played so well he’s relegated Crawford to the bench. Not bad work for a guy a lot of people thought were washed up.
Helping make life easier for Emery of late has been Patrick Sharp who’s been tearing things up so much he’s vaulted into the goal scoring race with 17, three behind Steve Stamkos. His 35 points put him one behind Marian Hossa for the team lead. Oh yeah, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane aren’t half bad either.
If there’s someone to put an end to Chicago’s winning ways, it’s Evgeni Malkin. Malkin was one of the NHL’s stars of the week after blowing up huge against Buffalo over the weekend. Malkin is just three points off the NHL scoring lead that sees Phil Kessel and Claude Giroux on top of things. Having James Neal to feed passes to helps. Expect to see Marc-Andre Fleury get the call in goal tonight for Pittsburgh.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)