Dec 20, 2011, 2:23 PM EST
CBC.ca’s Tim Wharnsby has come up with his list of the top 10 hockey stories of the year. It’s Canadian-centric, but we thought we’d throw it out there for comments.
1. Sidney Crosby and the NHL’s concussion saga
2. Return of the Winnipeg Jets
3. The deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak
4. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash
5. Vancouver riot
6. Rule 48 expansion (head shots)
7. Tim Thomas
8. NHL realignment
9. Canada’s collapse at world junior
10. HBO’s 24/7
—- Hard to argue with No. 1.
—- No. 6 could probably fall under No. 1 to make way for other stories.
—- I’d have found room for the Washington Capitals. Another playoff disappointment. Alex Ovechkin’s decline. Bruce Boudreau’s firing. They’ve been a fascinating team to follow.
Otherwise, good list.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)