Dec 20, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
CBC.ca’s Tim Wharnsby has come up with his list of the top 10 hockey stories of the year. It’s Canadian-centric, but we thought we’d throw it out there for comments.
1. Sidney Crosby and the NHL’s concussion saga
2. Return of the Winnipeg Jets
3. The deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak
4. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash
5. Vancouver riot
6. Rule 48 expansion (head shots)
7. Tim Thomas
8. NHL realignment
9. Canada’s collapse at world junior
10. HBO’s 24/7
—- Hard to argue with No. 1.
—- No. 6 could probably fall under No. 1 to make way for other stories.
—- I’d have found room for the Washington Capitals. Another playoff disappointment. Alex Ovechkin’s decline. Bruce Boudreau’s firing. They’ve been a fascinating team to follow.
Otherwise, good list.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)