Dec 20, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
CBC.ca’s Tim Wharnsby has come up with his list of the top 10 hockey stories of the year. It’s Canadian-centric, but we thought we’d throw it out there for comments.
1. Sidney Crosby and the NHL’s concussion saga
2. Return of the Winnipeg Jets
3. The deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak
4. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash
5. Vancouver riot
6. Rule 48 expansion (head shots)
7. Tim Thomas
8. NHL realignment
9. Canada’s collapse at world junior
10. HBO’s 24/7
—- Hard to argue with No. 1.
—- No. 6 could probably fall under No. 1 to make way for other stories.
—- I’d have found room for the Washington Capitals. Another playoff disappointment. Alex Ovechkin’s decline. Bruce Boudreau’s firing. They’ve been a fascinating team to follow.
Otherwise, good list.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)