Dec 20, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
CBC.ca’s Tim Wharnsby has come up with his list of the top 10 hockey stories of the year. It’s Canadian-centric, but we thought we’d throw it out there for comments.
1. Sidney Crosby and the NHL’s concussion saga
2. Return of the Winnipeg Jets
3. The deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak
4. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash
5. Vancouver riot
6. Rule 48 expansion (head shots)
7. Tim Thomas
8. NHL realignment
9. Canada’s collapse at world junior
10. HBO’s 24/7
—- Hard to argue with No. 1.
—- No. 6 could probably fall under No. 1 to make way for other stories.
—- I’d have found room for the Washington Capitals. Another playoff disappointment. Alex Ovechkin’s decline. Bruce Boudreau’s firing. They’ve been a fascinating team to follow.
Otherwise, good list.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)