Dec 20, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
CBC.ca’s Tim Wharnsby has come up with his list of the top 10 hockey stories of the year. It’s Canadian-centric, but we thought we’d throw it out there for comments.
1. Sidney Crosby and the NHL’s concussion saga
2. Return of the Winnipeg Jets
3. The deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak
4. Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash
5. Vancouver riot
6. Rule 48 expansion (head shots)
7. Tim Thomas
8. NHL realignment
9. Canada’s collapse at world junior
10. HBO’s 24/7
—- Hard to argue with No. 1.
—- No. 6 could probably fall under No. 1 to make way for other stories.
—- I’d have found room for the Washington Capitals. Another playoff disappointment. Alex Ovechkin’s decline. Bruce Boudreau’s firing. They’ve been a fascinating team to follow.
Otherwise, good list.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)